close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

drowning on lmr

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Sleprock, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Sleprock

Sleprock fishing cabrewer

check dayton daily news web sight

for details

warren county

pray for family

2. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

The DD website says some guy drowned...two people drowned this wknd on the lmr? Bummer,TC1

3. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

Man drowns attempting to help canoers
    By Daniel Wells

Staff Writer

Sunday, June 22, 2008

HAMILTON TWP., Warren Co. — A Goshen Twp. man died Sunday afternoon, June 22, after he left his kayak in the Little Miami River to assist canoers and was pulled under by the current.

Jim Shaw, 41, was kayaking with his wife and three children at around 1:50 p.m. when he left his boat in the area of the river between Ohio 48 and Grandin Road where the water is about six feet deep, said Doyle Burke, the chief investigator with the Warren County Coroner's Office.

"When he got out, the current just took him under," Burke said.

Shaw was pronounced dead at the scene after water rescue crews recovered his body from the river about 3:10 p.m., Burke said.

The Ohio Departement of Natural Resources is investigating.

4. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

Little Miami River drowning investigation continues
    Goshen Twp. man tried to rescue others; officials recommend boater safety training
    By Marie Rossiter and Daniel Wells

Staff Writers

Monday, June 23, 2008

HAMILTON TWP. — An investigation continued today, June 23 into drowning of a Goshen Twp. man Sunday afternoon, June 22 after he tried to help two canoers trapped by a tree in the Little Miami River.

Jim Shaw, 41, was kayaking with his wife and three children around 1:30 p.m. when he spotted brothers Shawn Dienger, 18, and Stephen Dienger, 23, both of Loveland, clinging to their capsized canoe in an area of the river near Maineville, said John Wisse, spokesman for the Ohio Department of Natural Resources Division of Watercraft.

"The canoe was caught in a 'strainer,' " said Wisse, "It's a navigational hazard that is usually caused by an obstruction on the water."

According to the ODNR, the Division of Watercraft reported that the group moved their boats to the river to the safety of the river bank. At that time, Shaw removed his life jacket and swam out to help the brothers.

The canoe broke free of the obstruction, sweeping all three men down the river. The brothers managed to get to the shore, but Shaw got trapped.

"It appears that the victim got tangled in an anchor line attached to the canoe," said Wisse. "As a result, he was repeatedly pulled beneath the water."

Shaw was pronounced dead at the scene after water rescue crews from Hamilton Twp. recovered his body from the river about 3:10 p.m., said Doyle Burke, the chief investigator for the Warren County Coroner's Office.

National Weather Service reports indicated that there were no unusual conditions such as high water or currents on the Little Miami River at the time of the accident.

This was the third incident in that stretch of river in June. A 6-year-old was pulled from the Little Miami in Hamilton Twp. on June 18. The child was taken to the hospital and has fully recovered. On June 5, Woody Bullock, 87, fell into the water while trimming trees near his Symmes Twp. home. His body was recovered two days later about 100 feet downstream.

State officials and local water-related businesses said that these events are an unfortunate coincidence, and that the Little Miami River does not pose a risk to boaters.

Gary Morgan, co-owner of Morgan's Canoe and Outdoor Center in Oregonia, said that the Little Miami is classified as a Class 1 river.

"This means that the water level is generally low when it comes to whitewater," Morgan said. "There was no indication of high water, and conditions (Sunday) were totally appropriate for boating activities."

The ODNR also said that river conditions didn't seem to play a role in the accident.

"This is an unusual type of boating fatality," Wisse said.

The official statement released by the department reported that the last boating-related fatality on the Little Miami River occurred in Warren County on June 22, 2003 when a 30-year old man drowned after the canoe in which he was a passenger struck a rock strainer and capsized.

Staying safe on the water

Boating is a safe and popular recreation activity. State and local officials, however, advise all boaters to take some form of water or boating safety class before getting into the water.

"Everyone born on or after January 1, 1982 is required to show proof of a completed boater safety course in order to operate a boat with at least a 10-horsepower engine," said Wisse. "And, even though there is no similar law for non-motorized watercrafts, we strongly recommend all boaters to take some form of safety class."

Morgan, a certified instructor with the American Canoe Association, said that there are a couple of simple tips that people can follow to stay safe in the water.

"There are classes that are offered by the Sierra Club and the American Canoe Association," he said. In addition to taking a class, boaters should:

• Always wear a life jacket when in a boat

• Know the river they're boating on, and, if possible, have a guide help you out

• Do not "drink and boat." Morgan said that he and his staff are working with state officials to change beliefs that boating and alcohol are a natural combination.

"It's not OK, it's not safe and it's against the law," he said.

5. everything I read about anchors and kayaks/canoes in a river says that they are a bad combination. What a horrible way to go and a huge shock for his family.

6. that was very horrible to hear about, someone trying to help someone else and he is the one that drowns. After looking at the footage that they had on the news, the water looked like it was really moving and muddy. I fish a lot out of a canoe and do use a anchor system when fishing. It's not the anchor system that is dangerous, it's the people who use them that are dangerous. Dropping anchor in the middle of the stream with a lot of current is the biggest mistake you can make. 9 out of 10 times the anchor will get caught and you have to be sure in what you are doing to unhook the anchor. I personally think that if you register a canoe, kayak, you should have to go thru some type of training or class. I have been canoeing for over 28 years now and a lot of what I know is from when I was in Boyscouting many moons ago, got the merit badge! LOL. All in all it's a shame and I am sad to hear that someone lost their life on the LMR.

7. Ajax

Ajax Rapala Snagger

I've been caught in strainers and few minor hydroloc holes a few times in a kayak. I was just learning the ropes but I knew how to roll and I knew my paddle strokes. Once you lose control you are at the mercy of the current. I don't care if you are a 275# bodybuilder in a 3 foot creek, you will be swept downstream. There is no substitute for PFD's. Knowing the river and scouting downstream are important as well. In currents like the LMR, it's hard to convince people to wear the life jackets. But have one or two scary experiences with obstacles in the river may change peoples minds.

8. Sleprock

Sleprock fishing cabrewer

think i will probably start waering one pfd

9. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

My heart goes out to the family, that's just horrible. :(

I always tell anyone I take out yakking -

Unfortunately, may people don't realize how powerful that current can be.
    It will pin you against the logs, and you can't get out.