close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dropped my son off at OSU.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Reel Lady, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

I can't believe it. Nathan is 18 years old, and stepping into the next segment of his life...College...
    He is going to OSU, so, distance wise, he is not too far...
    I drove down there with him yesterday and helped him to move into his new "Home"..... :'-(
    Let me tell you...what an empty feeling it was to leave there without him. Knowing that I won't be seeing him everyday just does not seem like a natural thing between a parent and their child. I will miss him soooo much and his goofy sense of humor. Although I won't miss him arguing with me about whose week it is to empty the dishwasher... lol

[​IMG]
    So now I can just sit back and see the fruits of my labor. Hopefully he has really listened to me and all of my motherly advice over the years. Hopefully he understands the importance of setting goals, being "Proactive" rather than "Reactive", being kind and considerate of others, being diplomatic, being honest, and not ever being afraid to have his "own" opinion, and most importantly BEING A SAFE DRIVER. (he just got his license and a car in July)
    You see, Nathan's father (my first husband) was killed in a car accident when I was 5 months pregnant with Nathan. I was 22 years old, David (his father) was only 21. David was young and invincible... or so he thought. I can only hope that Nathan has the ability to learn from others mistakes.
    So now there is only my little Hanna here to keep me company. Although she just started High School, now it seems that I am already worrying about the day that SHE leaves for college. Not only would my daughter be leaving home, but also my best friend :-(
    I think I may need some serious therapy to get through that one!
    To all of you parents who have seen your kids off to college... Now I know your pain....
    Marcia

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Marcia,
    been there done that. BUT after a while you will sorta enjoy the time you can do what YOU want and not have to work it around your kids. I love my kids but it's also nice to have the time to spend with just my wife also. Since I live about 5 minutes from there and know lots of cops around Cols. tell him he better be good! :D
    Good luck to him, let hope he makes himself a millionare and takes care of Mom and Dad.

3. i enjoyed the picture of your son and his girl friend. (the woman in the picture is too young and attractive to be his mom)

i remember those days. it gets worst. wait till you're babysitting his kids.

GO BUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Grumpy

Grumpy Certified Old Geezer

Take my word for it.......They keep coming back. They usually have a bag of dirty laundry with them.. :D Been there, done that with three of them... :D

5. haha dirty laundry and thier hand out for some food for thier room!

Tell him good Luck!

J

6. Just seems like yesterday we were doing the same thing with son #2. Man, what an empty feeling driving home from Morgantown(WVU) 5 years ago. Your son is on autopilot now. Just cross your fingers that you did a good job over the years and he holds his course. I'm sure he will..seems like he's got a good family behind him. The anxiety gradually goes away as you come to realize that he truly can lead his own life at school without your daily course corrections. lol We couldn't believe how fast 4 years can fly (is that a surprise?) Our son has graduated and landed his first REAL job and is living in Newark. He has grown up so much since those school days and the wife and I see new signs of maturity in him every time he comes home. Would you believe he calls us every evening promptly at 9:00pm? What a guy! Good luck, you guys, I'm sure everything is going to work out just fine. You ALL will adjust. lol

P.S. Oh ya, I can relate to the dirty laundry coming home. Tim would always seem to take one of his mothers favorite laundry baskets with him when he left, much to his mothers surprise! lol

7. I guess I can speak from the other side, I have only been out of college for 5 years.

I will never forget the feeling of independance when I watched my parents drive away after the dropped me off at The University of Findlay. but something I never told them was the fear and anxiety i also felt. I was scared to death because I knew it was the beginning of the end.

My fist week there I called home everynight. Finially my mom told me I had to quit calling. I had to move on. Only later did I find out that she cried for hours after saying that... BUT it was the best advice I got in college. From then on I got a life. I started to make friends (I knew NO ONE in the begining). I dated. By the end of my senior year I was the President of my Fraternity, Vice President of the IFC, Lieutenant of the local volunteer fire department, and was voted "Senior leader of the year" by my classmates.

The day I graduated, my mom and dad were so proud.... and after the ceremony, they came back to my apartment to help me finish packing and moving. I remembering sitting there crying to my mother because it felt like I was moving AWAY from home.

4 years of school will do crazy things to a kids head. my 4 roomates in college are all getting together this weekend for one of our bachelor parties. I have been in/will be in all of their weddings, and come March 15th, 2006 they will be in mine. The best frined I ever made were in those 4 crazy years.

8. This all brings back fond memories for me as well. My memories too are from the kid's perspective...although my has been a few more years than ltfd596.:rolleyes: It is definitely a challenging but yet exciting time for the kids. Marcia, your description helps bring to reality the fact that I will be doing the same thing in a few years. I am sure it is going to be tough at first to know that they are out of your control. But I think the morals and values that you instill in the years leading up to that day are what shapes the child. You seem to take great pride in your family as well you should. I am sure you did a great job raising Nathan and he will make you very proud.

Thanks for sharing. By the way that is a great picture of you two as well.

9. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

I relate to this from both sides of the fence.

Right now I hear my oldest boy(22) is getting out of bed to go to class. He chose to take advantage of living at home while in college for a while.
    And our youngest son who just graduated high school last fall, is in Capetown, South Africa going to college for a year that ends this December.
    Thats been the real challenge! Man, I miss him. We can't call him, no incoming calls available. He's called us three times, plus maybe a dozen emails.
    We recently got an email saying he was taking exams and studying but it was tough concentrating with the headaches from the racking cough and cold that he had. Then we didn't hear from him again for the next ten days. We didn't know if he also had a high fever that he neglected to tell us about, or who knows what. (real easy with him)
    I do know that I will be so glad when we pick him up at the Cleveland airport.;) :D

10. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I am in college and live at home right now, i can only dream of the freedoms i could have...but i know if i had them, i'd still not take advantage of them....Damn parents!

11. Good post. My son is starting his 2nd year at OSU. I just finished reliving all of the emotions and excitement of helping him move into the freshman dorm and start a new segment of his life. It's a very empty feeling when you wave goodbye.

Much has changed in these past 12 months. I think we need to start a separate post for the parents whose kids started college one year ago. Have they fit in and adapted to the academic challenges? Or did all of that independence pull them over to the dark side?