Dropped A Deuce on Saturday!!

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by lg_mouth, Dec 3, 2007.

1. lg_mouth

lg_mouth It's Trigger Time!!!

I know, interesting title!

After having the most frustrating bow season I can remember, I decided to pick up my slug gun and head out on Saturday. Well, after finally finding a place to sit down, I was able to bring in two deer! A small button buck that I head shot at about 15 yards and a 5 point buck that I shot on the trot. Thank God for gun season this year, it has helped boost my spirits for late bow season.

Lg_mouth

2. leadcorebean

leadcorebean Charter Captain

great head shot!!! not.. good way to respect the game.

3. Kyfisherman1

Kyfisherman1 scott_menix@yahoo.com

a good headshot is my choice when going for one for table fare... only bad thing about the situation is that 2 small bucks were taken out.. it happens though

4. lg_mouth

Hey leadcore, you hunt your way, I will hunt mine. That button buck didn't feel a thing, straight through the brain and dead.

Kyfisherman I don't hunt for trophies, I hunt for meat. If that 5 point would have shown himself during bow season, he would have walked. But, it was Saturday of gun season, no meat in the freezer, so I put him down.

I am not going to apologize for the way I hunt. Go criticize someone who cares.

Lg_mouth

5. Nice thinking on the head shot. No meat was ruined!

6. bobk

bobk

So if you see another button buck will you shoot it in the head also and tag 3 bucks for the year? You have every right to do so , but that does nothing for helping to control the buck to doe ratio for all hunters. Think if everyone did that. Congrats on a good day. Glad you have meat in the freezer now.
    Bob

7. lg_mouth

Thanks! Someone who appreciates the art of a head shot.

Lg_mouth

8. lg_mouth

...then no. But, I had no idea this was a button buck before I shot it. The nubs did not show past the hair of the head, so they weren't visible,even at 15 yards. Probably wouldn't have changed me shooting it anyway.

So, if I can tell it is a button buck, it will walk. But, if I think it is a doe, then I will do my best to add another deer to my freezer.

Lg_mouth

9. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i have no problem with a head shot but you are suposed to tag the first deer before you shoot another even if you do have 2 tags on you

10. I don't know where you are reading that he did not tag the first one before shooting?:confused: We don't need to make an issue out of something that is not there.;)

As far as the deer that Lg_Mouth shot it is totally legal to take the two that he took and it totally up to him whether he chooses to do so. Everyone can choose to control the deer in their area the way they see fit as long as it is within the regulations. You may not agree with it and would choose otherwise on the ground you hunt and that is up to you as well. But there is no reason to try and make him feel as if he broke any laws here.:rolleyes:

Congratulations on the meat for the season by the way.

11. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

well did the 2 come in together? or did you shoot one tag it and then shoot another one the post leads me to believe the 2 came in together?

12. I dropped a different kind of deuce saturday. The chili I had Fri started working hard at 9 am. I was not able to get all the way out of my climbing stand. I stopped half way down and dropped my deuce. I ruined that stand location. Congrats on your deuce.
    LindyRigger

13. Kyfisherman1

it really doesn't matter what he done guys.. its not your place to tell him that you have to tag one deer before he shoots the other and so on....... that is not the point of any discussion, the only thing i said was that it was just bad that 2 young bucks were taken out of the same area... thats all i said. thats based on my opinions of buck/doe ratio and growing bigger bucks......

as far as a head shot, it is the best way to kill one when your not worrying about saving a trophy. i shot a doe here in ky and 15 yards with my 30-06 straight between the eyes, blew the whole top of her head off.. she bled out like crazy and has been some damn good eating..

i suppose you all who don't think it's humane to shoot a deer in the head think that a butcher shoots a cow through the lungs and watches her stand there and suffer til her lungs are crushed.. NOT......... they shoot em between the eyes with a 22..

congrats on a good head shot, nothing is wasted and that is the most efficient way for everyone to survive

14. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Nice kills. Meat in the freezer is what hunting is all about!

15. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

as prevously mentioned,the guy has no obligation to answer to every "deer cop" on the site.in my eyes,people are trying to read too much into a simple statement in an effort to find fault.
    i see way too much of this stuff from hunters and fishermen.helping others to understand laws,etc is one thing.but "grilling" people just because you "think" they "might" have done something,is totally different,and really not necessary,whatever your agenda is.
    i would expect people to point out wrong doing(in a respectful manner)if someone posted clearly breaking a law because they were uninformed.that is one of the purposes of this site..............helping others.it is not about trying to find fault in what people do,based on what we try to cook up in our minds.

he basically said he killed 2 deer.i for one,am not going to sit here and demand every detail and in affect,accuse him of breaking the law with absolutely no evidence or indication that he did,and i don't think it's anyone else's place to do so either.
    but there are always people who for unknown reasons,feel a need to rain on someone's parade:confused: :rolleyes:

16. Generally a head shot is not considered ethical because of the great odds of just wounding the animal. I am not condeming what he did at all, so don't take this that way. He made a great shot apparently and the animal suffered none at all. But with a head shot one inch can mean the difference between instance death and a long time in suffering. A kill shot to the head is a small target. Many guys make bad shots shooting at the vitals which are the size of a dinner plate.

17. Kyfisherman1

i'll agree some people can't hit the broad side of a barn..

on the a deers head with a high powered weapon i'd say you have a 4 inch circle to hit there... my friend shot his first deer this season, he shot it directly in the end of the nose.. bullet traveled through the roof its its mouth and stopped about 3/4 of the way down it's neck, totally destroyed everything down it's neck.. I should have took some pics of what my 30-06 with 168 gr bullets did to that does head.. it's eyes were popped out because there was nothing left above them to help hold them... it was a mess

18. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

Congrats on your deer. I do not feel anyone on here should criticize him for taking a certain type of deer. As long as it goes to feed him and his family, who are to say different. As far as button bucks, does, or buck go, I personally don't give a rats ass what you shoot. There are to many deer and that is the reason why we hunt. As far as a head shot goes. More power to you. When I hunt high power out of state. That is all I shoot for. I have never had to track any of my deer. I use a 270 or a 30-30. And it does a hell of a job. I am not wasting any meat. I do not recommend everyone should take that type of shot, but I shoot often and feel extremely confident in taken such shots.

19. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

this is what i was asking about
    really misfit i dont care what you do..............you got to love the internet and how things come across...............i wasent trying to be a "deer cop" i dident even hunt deer this year i still have some left from last year.............i just wanted to let him know that you must tag one deer before you shoot another and was asking how he did it because that quote at the top says he sat down and shot 2 deer if he did it that way ..........thats fine .........but he could get hit with a ticket i am sure that no one wants that and its better to be informed than not informed

if not and i am playing deer cop then fine shoot 3 deer at one time or unplug your gun and take 5 not my problem i have heard of it being done before

20. lg_mouth

Wow, this thing took on a life of its own after I left work yesterday.

I am going to be honest and admit I was ignorant (not an excuse) of the law until a buddy pointed it out to me after the fact. So, yes, I did shoot the 5 point before I tagged the button buck. I wrote the actual times on the tags, so if anything comes of it, then I will face the consequences.

Good luck to all with the second gun season, mloader, and late bow season.

Lg_mouth