Drooping Headliner

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by c. j. stone, Feb 14, 2008.

1. I helped a friend find(and buy) an older Buick Century wagon in pretty fair shape but when I looked at it for her, I didn't look UP! The felt headliner is drooping on both sides and will eventually drop all the way. I know the foam it's glued to is failing due to age. The uphol. shop wants $300! If the person had that kind of money to begin with, they wouldn't have bought this particular car!
    Has anyone had this problem and know of a reasonably acceptable way to fix this inexpensively? 'Pretty' is not necessarily a factor at this point.
    ps-Eriesteamer, Don't tell me to put dow rods on top of the seat backs-please!

2. athensfishin'

athensfishin' Fighting the Man

well They do make a glue, but here's the trick, your headliner is falling apart because the foam is breaking apart so in order to do it right you will need to take the whole liner down and clean it off. You can also take it down and find some tough cardboard like material and make a copy of it and cover it in new foam and put it back it. Most people just cut a small hole and spray the glue up there, it just falls down or you get dark spots where the glue piles up. really if you just go buy like a big package of thumbtacks that match the color and space them out right they blend in and look like buttons. I mean after all it's a Buick wagon so it's not like it will ruin it too much:D

if you go the upholstery route, try getting some fake leather or something and doing some designs, These are the kinds of projects where you get the chance to try to do something new and if you screw it up it's not a major loss.

But personal suggestion for cheap and quick is colored thumbtacks, thats whats holding up the lining on my work truck.

3. As a teenager, I had a '73 Nova that suffered from this problem. The foam, itself was in good shape. The glue used to attach the felt just failed. The felt was also in bad shape due to cig. burn holes. I carefully pulled the old liner off and got a new piece of felt at a fabric shop. I think I used some type of spray adhesive and tucked the edges under the plactic molding. It only took a few hours and ended up looking pretty good.

4. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Had a friend that used tooth picks and pins to hold his up, seemed to work well :D

5. Perchy101

Perchy101 Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

6. 3m super 77 adhesive. take the liner down and re-stick it. do it right and it should easily out last tthe vehicle.

7. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

get a hypodermic needle for glue ,maybe at a hobby shop? or craft store. we used them for carpet repairs too.

8. They Make Plastic Button Just For Headliners. Fast And Easy.. They Are Available At Advance And Autozone.

9. Thanks for all the tips. I had thought of using my hot glue gun by making a small slit and inserting the gun tip against the backing board, squeeze a little dab and push up on the spot with a wet thumb til the glue cools. Maybe doing this every 6-8 inches or so. I never heard of the thumb tacks or plastic buttons but that sounds like a good system which I will look into. Again, thanks.

10. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

we have always used wooden trim board that is thin and flexible... just cut it to size and stick it between the plastic edges and the headliner... 3 pieces usually hold the entire headliner without having to cut the liner or glue anything to it

11. Hot glue fails at the high temperatures within a car in the summer. I used shag carpet and quick-as-nails type construction adhesive back in the 70's.

12. I have replaced at least 4 of these GM headliners. It is, as stated first here, the foam between the cloth and the backing (usually heavy cardboard) that is disintigrating. You need to remove all the old cloth and clean the residue from the backing. Usually a stiff brush does the trick. Jo-Ann Fabrics has very heavy material with a backing to prevent adhesive from getting through in many colors. Get the fabric, the some GOOD craft glue. Apply glue and lay fabric, smooth with roller and use a screen spline tool in the folds. When it goes back in, the plastic trim in the car hides the edges.

13. I used the plastic buttons. They worked slick and not toooo unattractive. Could only find black but not too noticeable with the dark burgundy felt. I thought the backing material would be a molded fiber board or something hard. What was I thinking, a Mercedes?? It was cardboard and the buttons screw to it nicely. At least now it's safe! Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it.