close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Driving Myself Nuts

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by H2O Mellon, Oct 7, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Okay, I stopped @ McDonalds today got hars browns & a med diet coke (watching my sexy figure) so anyways this whole Monopoly thing is back. I need to know how the printing of these game pieces work. There has to be some one that knows when the pieces such as "Boardwalk" is printed, right? I am sure the printing is done my machine, but someone has to load the machine w/ the special print. It also got me thinking about all the other games like this, plus the lottery scratch offs. Does anyone know how these tings are done? I'm going out of my mind here. Just one of these things that make you go "Hmmmm". :confused:

2. So I'm guessing you didnt win?:p

3. H2O Mellon

I won a free small mcflury!

4. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

At least you didn't use much gas on such a short drive :)

5. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

If I remember right, didn't some people get busted a few years ago by giving the winning game pieces to friends and then spitting the winnings?

6. Chuck P is right.Mellon you are not in the right family :)

7. I bet Mayor McCheese knows.

8. As far as the lottery scratch offs go, they are awarded to print shops by the state on a bid. One of my customers (who shall remain nameless) here in central ohio has one of the contracts. They also print out all of the ticket books for Police and state highway patroll sitations and titles for various vehicles. I could describe how the lottery tickets are printed, but it is a long process. Basically they are computer generated and then printed out. the stuff you scratch off is a wax/plastic based material that is also printed over or applied to the print that tells you if you have won or not. they are then slit down and perfed to individual rolls and distributed through out the state. Needless to say that security is very tight in this facility

9. H2O Mellon

Right, I catch ya there, but there has to be some sort of specialized stamp for each game piece or logo right? I could compare it to the US Mint, it take a $5 mold to make a $5 bill & a $10 mold to make a $10 bill, so the person that changes the molds or the press would ahve to know when the winning piece is printed, right? How could you do it, lets say your working there where they make the game pieces making $35K per year, then you see the $1,000,000 winning game piece go by. Man, think of how bad that would suck!

10. How bad would it suck to be the kid making $5/hr and pass the cup out the window with the million dollar piece on it! :eek:

11. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

It would probably be done using some type of indexing printer head which has all the pieces (stamping plates) in the head. The machine is more than likely a CNC (Numerically controled) printing type machine. A computer program would randomly select, (depending on the odds of the various winning combinations), which pieces to apply to the cards before they are sealed with the vynil/plastic coating.
    Your analogy of printing money is a good one...I would venture to say the same machine can be used to make $1, $5, $10, $20...etc. and the only adjustment that has to be made would be to change the master plate itself. :D

12. phisherman

phisherman can't land em Teddy

Jees, it not even ice season yet fellas. Go wet a line.

13. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

dont drive yourself nuts over it. no one knows when they are printed and if they do, its a crime (fraud, theft, etc.) to make anything of it, as was stated above. those peices look to me to be printed on something similar to an ink jet printer.

same with the lottery tickets. people thinking they know when a winner is "due" is what keeps people playing (and losing).

there is no way the sellers can just scan the tickets (to see if theyre a "winner") without scratching them off either. there is a 10 digit code under the part you scratch off, the ticket must be scanned and the last 5 digits of the 10 digit code must be entered for the computer to tell if its a winner or not.

if you buy tickets and the last 5 digits have been scratched off, the seller is commiting fraud.

14. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

I have turned in scratch off tickets and depending on the place they just scan them and give me a dollar. Some places in those numbers and some don't. Some have the lotto scanner others don't. They just scan the back of the card.

A while back some folks got busted at the bottle plant in jackson center. They took bulk lables or something that had to do with winning money. of course they got busted. Takes alot of planning and know how to get away with such a crime. I am sure a computer program generates the when and where the winning prints hit and prob. moves so fast that the human eye wouldn't even know what it is seeing. And or is printed and covered at the same time so know on sees.

prob. with security, the best on could do is notice the big winner and try like hell to find where that batch was distributed and have someone else buy like hell and hope for the best.

15. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

in cleveland some store got busted for lightly scratching off the code area to look for winners .if you don't look hard at the ticket you wouldn't know it had small scratches on it.

16. H2O Mellon

I guess I wasnt clear I'm not tyring to win, I was jsut wodering how the winning labels are placed, made, etc... w/out anyone knownng.

I think HookNBokk told me what I wanted to know.

17. Hey Mellon, the head of security for McDonalds was busted a few years back because he knew the answer to your question. He he got some friends together and they hatched a pretty complex plan to scam Mickey.
    After the dust settled, McDonalds announced a big give-a-way program with $100,000 cash prizes. My next door neighbor was sitting in a McDonalds in Troy, Ohio where he goes all the time, when an official walked up to him and said, "Congratualations, you've just won $100,000".
    He, his wife and their two kids had a blast figuring out how to spend that windfall.

18. H2O Mellon

WOW! Wouldnt that be nice.