close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Driveways

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fishyguy, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Fishyguy

Fishyguy Crazy Catman

Hey guys, has anyone out there ever had to have a new driveway put in? I knew when I bought my house it would have to have it done. I am thinking of having the asphalt replaced with concrete, because everyone who has seen the driveway said that it is obvious that the previous owner did not put a good base under the asphalt and there are huge waves in the driveways and it is breaking apart badddddd. I am not loaded with money, so I don't even know if I can afford this right now. I would guess the driveway is somewhere in the neighborhood of 8' X 50'. Anyone have a clue what this might cost? I was just curious. I plan on having a couple estimates done as well. Just wanted to see what other here might have paid for either asphalt or concrete driveway. Thanks for any info you might have.

2. JBJ

JBJ

For blacktop you are probably looking at over $600 to remove the old and put in a new one, concrete will be more than that...

It could be even more if you are not located near to their supply of materials also.

3. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

we were discussing this same subject last week here, so again i.ll say if you can afford it and if not right now but if you can save some money when you do replace it i would go with the concrete you will be doing yourself a favor, good luck with the project.......... :cool:

4. Fishyguy

Fishyguy Crazy Catman

I cant find the old post on the topic, can someone find the link to it? Thanks

5. I'm am still gathering info on prices for concrete. The cheapest I have heard of is 2.50$ per square foot. This price includes material, forming, pooring and finishing. But, the way I understand it, the farther the concrete has to be hauled the more expensive it is. Average price seems to be about 4.00$ per square foot. This doesn't include removal of old driveway. Hope this helps

6. I have the exact same situation. My drive is a little bigger. Put in in 1964 ( I assume) It's all cracked to pieces. 2-3'' gaps between the pieces and collasped in the middle. I'm planning on replacing mine next spring. (Have to build a pole barn this year :D :D

I had no idea aspalt was that cheap? If you're planning on staying in your house, I'd go with concrete as well if you can scrape together the $$.

Typically, when new drives are put in, they are poured on backfill next to the foundation that is not compacted, then in a few years, everything settles and cracks. If you're planning on staying the house awhile, plan on fixing the subgrade under the slab when you remove it. I would suggest getting a compactor, and compacting the @3#% out of it. It's best if you're on dirt, to scrape it out and replace about 6'' of it with #304 limestone, or similar stone material. Pour a full 5''+ thick slab, with some wire mesh, and it will last a loooooong time. Don't forget to have the little shavers put there hand prints in it. :D :D

Catslammer out.

7. Fishyguy

Fishyguy Crazy Catman