close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Drinkin On Boats!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by buzzedredneck, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Are U Or Arnt U Aloud To Drink On A Boat On The Ohio If Youre Not The Operator?

2. check the KDNR rules..most of the river is claimed by Kentucky..well...'cept for the part that west virginia claims :)

3. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

I GUESS, if your out in the lake it is ok (any lake). BUT, if your sitting at the dock or boat ramp at a state park in a boat, i know they say thats drinking in a state park and you will be fined. personally in my boat i prefer no drinking at all. if you must drink, it will be beer only. ive done my share of drinking out on the water and man was i an idiot when i did that...:C that was many, many years ago too.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  4. rolland

rolland Fishing Noob

I have wondered the same thing. I hardly ever drink and 99.8% of the time its in my home when I do. But last year I was headed out to the lake on a super hot day and a beer sounded really good. After thinking about it I decided against it because I was not sure if a park ranger cought me drinking and fishing if they could suspend my fishing licence. In the rules/regs book they give you with your licence it dosnt say eather way. Also I know for some ofences they can take away hunting/fishing privlages. A simple fine I could live with but not being able to go fishing when I want to would stink. Needless to say i stoped and got poweraid, didn't want to chance the beer.

5. One thing is for sure, you cannot operate or be in physical control of a boat while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, it's the same as being in a car. Any boat is just that, I've known of folks to be charged with OVI for operating a canoe with a paddle (self-propelled).

6. On Lake Erie the operator has to be sober, all the other passengers can drink till they drop! But if your buzzed buddies are getting out of hand that can be another problem. I asked the Coast Guard last year when I had my boat safety checked.

7. The coast guard says it's OK while on Erie, but the state says no. Had the guard & state at Mazurik's a couple years ago & it was very interesting listening to the different veiwpoints. The operator must always be sober, but I'm not absolutely 100% sure about the passengers. I've had a ranger at Alum tell me that it was exactly like a car ; open container by anyone is illegal, but I'm not sure that rangers understand the law.
    Tim

8. Pike

Pike

T-180, an open container in a State Park is against the law, Alum Creek is obviously a State Park. Erie and the Ohio river are different.

9. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Erie and the Ohio river are not state owned waters so the laws are different. They are national waterways.

10. I'm fully aware that Alum Creek is a state park, however when you come in to any state owned launch on Erie or the Ohio River, you have entered a "state park" or state controlled area. I'm also just passing along what I was told by a state ranger (actually 2 of them) ....... that in their eyes, any open container in any boat anywhere is against the law. It's very possible that , like in many cases, the rangers don't know the all the laws, but I'll stay on the safe side just to make sure. I also know that the coast guard doesn't see it that way and to quote the CG patrol, "watch out for the state guys, they're pricks" !! Sure would be nice to have some consistency.
    Good subject and discussion, maybe someone from the state or coast guard could put it in writing for us.
    Tim

11. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

Many days while boating on Erie me and my buddies have some chilly ones one day me and my brother drank over 40 beers, Frank was driving the boat, we decided to take a cruise down the Cuyahoga and got pulled over my the coast guards and they asked if we had any alcohol on the boat I proceeded to tell him "not no more" with a drunken grin, they boarded our boat, gave Frank the eye test, he passed because he was sober and they said be careful (it was night) and sent us on our way. A guy I know that docks at edgewater said if you drink inside the breakwall you can can will be ticketed, so before you crack open your first beer make sure you pass any harbour entrances and be ON the lake itself and you will be okay. So yes it is okay to be intoxicated while on the lake boat or fishing but you must NOT be drinking as the driver. We always drink beer on the boat but just like in the car drinking and driving is a no no and you have to observe these rules.

12. WINNER

WINNER I hate Cleveland.

Been stopped by wildlife officers while boozin in my kayak on the river. No-one said a word.

Winner

13. The One

The One Ret. 1SG U.S. Army

40 beers between the two of you he was still sober? My biggest fear would be falling overboard and not know which way was up.

14. Dang, 40 beers ............ I don't think I could hang with you guys !!!

15. If you want advice on the law, I'd recommend asking a lawyer first....

16. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

Me and my brother drank the beers on a 85 degree day over the period of 8 hours way off Cleveland walleye and steelie trolling. Frank didn't drink because we did drink.

Ohh yeah us pollocks know how to put some brews down!

17. LMAO....I wonder why?

We drink on the boat. Use your frickin' head when it comes to deciding who is driving the boat...at all times....

18. The One

I am definitely bush league also and I am Irish!

19. The One

I didn't realize you had a third guy (Frank) in the boat :) If I drank that much my buddies would be sure to find the the most unsettling ride home in hopes of getting me to puke.