Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
TeamOGF
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to drill a hole and tap it to 12-24 threading.
How do you know which size for the pilot hole?

My drill cards first hole the tap fits is 11/64", can I go with 5/32" for a tighter fit or will that be too small?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
all taps require a certain size drill bit. i'll see if i can find it and let you know... i've never tapped that size.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
You need drill size #16 the closest to that is 11/64. You can probably pick up a size 16 at Grainger.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
get the proper size drill bit and some cutting oil 3in 1 will work and work the tap both directions and clean it last thing you want to do is break the tap off.
________
Cuban Recipes

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
What material are you tapping?

If you don't already have the tap, be sure not to buy a cheapo one...I did that once and the tap twisted, didn't break, just turned almost into a cork screw:S

·
TeamOGF
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am mounting an address number sign to an outside steel pipe thin walled lamp post. The screws came with the lightweight plastic sign.

Any idea which would give the snugger fit, the #16 or the 11/64" ?

Grainger won't sell to the general public. I can call Hartville Hardware, Home Depot, Lowe's.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
self tapping screws should do the trick on that lamp post.easier and faster than tapping.and cheaper than a good drill bit.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I can send you a drill and tap if you don't get one. I'm in Dover so let me know, I work in a Tool and Die shop.

·
geriatrics supporter
358 Posts
Misfit is right, get some self tapping screws. Even if you had the right size drill if its thin wall pipe you would only get 1 to 2 threads anyway and you would probably end up tearing them out if you over tighten the screw just a hair to much anyway

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I agree that the self tappers are the way to go with what you are doing. A center drill would help if you had one.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'll also suggest the self tapper but I would also recommend using a punch to mark the hole locations and then drilling a pilot hole that is a little smaller than the self tapper. It will make getting the screw started A LOT easier, especially on a round post.

·
TeamOGF
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No doubt about it self-tappers would be much simpler.
But the design of the sign wont allow them unless I screw up plan "A" and have to make some U brackets.
Plan "A" needs to work. :p

·
TeamOGF
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all of your help everyone.
I got the sign up and it looks great! :B

·
TeamOGF
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm without a digi camera right now. :D It does look good though.

Here, let me send you a mental picture. Now concentrate real hard!!! :eek: :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts