Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bass are for guys who can't catch Walleye
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mostly troll for walleyes but, I would like to try my hand again at drifting. What are the popular rigs/lures that are being used? Bottom Bouncers are a no brainer, the last time I was out on a drift charter the Erie Dearie was real popular and the Weapon was just getting started. Also, what colors are you guys using? Do you cast with mono or braid? I appreciate any help & ideas you have and are willing to share.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I'm no expert but I like to throw Erie Dearie knock offs, weight forward spinners. I use 10 pound mono, my buddy uses 12. Today was slow for us the wind picked up in our area and really put a damper on things. But what we did catch was on gold and yellow. Gold is my go to color, just my opinion. I think this method will catch walleye just about anywhere, just using the ol' count down.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I use worm harnesses with floaters and depending on conditions I use a little weight. Orange has been good, and pinks, golds. Search around on here and you can find lots of info on this.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I like a harness rig or mayfly rig...essentially both are a spinner and bead setup above either a single hook or a two hook harness, rigged on a length of mono. Some folks call the one hook setup a casting rig or mayfly rig or weapon and the two hook harness a drifting rig. Myself, I use either one for either technique...I cast both on occasions and drag with the drift both as well. The mono rig can be anywhere from 18 - 36 inches long...I like shorter for casting (less tangles). (You go through more crawlers when casting a harness versus single hook, but there are days I think it works better to have that long worm strung out.)

I make some of my rigs myself but Ole Pete's tackle has a great selection (link below) and I can order online. I also sometimes like the rigs with a floating body rigged as part of the spinner and beads....floats the bait off the bottom if you let it lay down there.

Use an egg sinker or inline sinker above the harness at your swivel...weight according to drift speed and waves and depth the fish are taking them. Lately I have been taking my old erie dearies, cutting the spinners off, and using the painted bodies as inline weights about 18 inches ahead of the spinner and worm.. Seems to work great.

I like a limber rod (Shakespeare ugly stick light is perfect)....because I get many fish by watching my rod tip on the retrieve and setting the hook when I see a slight pull on the end.

Some days they want it steady retrieve, some start and stop, some slow, some faster. Many times I cast it and let it lay on the bottom for several minutes. Some days they are up higher...some I let it sink to the bottom again half way in. You just have to figure out what works. One thing that works good for me...cast in the direction the boat is drifting at about a 45 degree angle to drift direction. If there is any wind you will get a long cast from the wind behind you, getting it further away from boat. Let it lay awhile. You will start out retrieving 45 degrees to the boat and finish almost parallel to the boat. They like to hit it on the swing, just like trolling.

There are a hundred spinner patterns or colors. Gold and yellow have been good for me. I personally think it is the action and the type of retrieve that is more important than color....but if nothing is hitting I will keep changing colors (as well as retrieve, depth, and weight) till I find something that works.

Unless it is a good wind, and you are dragging bottom bouncers with good action, for me drifting is casting one of these rigs and sore arm at end of day. If room in boat and enough wind I like to drift one bottom bouncer and cast another rig at same time. Hard to do if you have several guys in the boat.

Check out the drifting and casting harnesses at:

http://www.olepetestackle.com/

·
gray panther
701 Posts
I use a lot of harnesses (I mostly use 1 hook harnesses but a lot of guys use 2 and 3-hook), and I also have a lot of weight forwards (erie dearies, parish, tom's, pa's etc.). I use in-line weights with the harnesses some like egg better. It is a lot more important to learn some of the techniques for using them. Playing (casting) the swing, countdown, pick n drop, shuffle, snap, long pull or lift, etc. Fish with some guys who do a lot of drifting and watch how they use them. Day in, day out it is tough to beat gold (I know, some guys will say that's cause everyone uses it, but I've just seen the outcome too many times to discount it), but I have all the colors -- mostly gold or copper bellies but a fair share of silver. Most any color that has worked for you trolling will probably work drifting.
I always use fireline or power pro

1 - 5 of 5 Posts