Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I drift at night or late evening for walleye that are suspended in 25-30 FOW at 18 foot depth. Any good advice would be appreciated. This would be for a lake in the Portage lakes area.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would try a countdown lure such as a rattletrap,Rapala, or one of the suspending Storm Thundersticks with a couple suspend-a-dots on them. You could even try a three-way rig with a long leader and a short lipped crank bait.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A technique used for suspended eyes on erie is "fishing the swing"
basicaly you cast a weight forward spinner, mayfly rig, or crawler harness off to the front or side of the boat. "count down" a number (you will need to play with this number to find active fish & get your lure in the strike zone) and then start a slow retrieve. as you work the lure in it will continue to sink to a maximum depth (dependant on cast length, count down, retreieve speed, drift speed.....) and then swing back up towards the surface.

It takes some experimenting but works at presenting your bait/lure to suspended fish. A rule of thumb I have often heard is that a 3/4 ounce spinner falls roughly 1 foot per seccond. But a better rule is to time the lenght of time that it takes to drop the lure from the surface to the bottom & roughly divide the water depth by that number. ie, if in 32 foot of water & it takes 20 secconds for your lure to fall to the bottom it falls at roughly 1.5 feet per seccond. so, if you cast & count to 12 your lure should start at ~18 feet.

·
124 Posts
Why is it that weight-forward spinners are so seldom mentioned when discussing inland lakes? With the exception of the post in this thread, I cannot recall anyone talking about using them inland with success. Considering their long-established record on Erie, they seem like a natural for inland lakes. Personally, I have not targeted walleye that often, so I don't have much experience to draw from. Would appreciate any input.

Tim

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Suggest you use crankbaits with rattles, trolled at various depths. Uaually better to be in close to shore during the night but it can be a long night as the bite is not usually fast and furious. If you insist on drifting, then cast with spinners or cranks that make a lot on sound and fish at various depths until you find the count that works. The previously described swing cast is extreemly effective provided you have a fairly decent drift speed.

·
SOLID MEAT
5,521 Posts
I tried the mayfly rig and experienced problems with it hanging up in rocks. plus i do better with other methods. I am sure they would work very well drifting though, they are alot like a harness.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
PartTimeBasser said:
Why is it that weight-forward spinners are so seldom mentioned when discussing inland lakes?
The short answer is that inland walleye/saugeye mostly relate to structure which makes it difficult to present a top-heavy spinner without getting snagged. Weight forward spinners are perfectly designed for the unique feeding behavior of "open water" walleye.

exexec said:
How can I drift at night or late evening for walleye that are suspended in 25-30 FOW at 18 foot depth. Any good advice would be appreciated. This would be for a lake in the Portage lakes area.
How do you know they're walleye??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts