close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

drifting for walleye ???

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by exexec, Jun 15, 2004.

1. How can I drift at night or late evening for walleye that are suspended in 25-30 FOW at 18 foot depth. Any good advice would be appreciated. This would be for a lake in the Portage lakes area.

2. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

wouldn't it be better to troll? or you might want to try and use a slip bobber. or even virtical jigging.

3. kingcrappie

kingcrappie Member

Why dont you put a weight on the bottom and put a floating Jighead on.

4. I would try a countdown lure such as a rattletrap,Rapala, or one of the suspending Storm Thundersticks with a couple suspend-a-dots on them. You could even try a three-way rig with a long leader and a short lipped crank bait.

5. A technique used for suspended eyes on erie is "fishing the swing"
    basicaly you cast a weight forward spinner, mayfly rig, or crawler harness off to the front or side of the boat. "count down" a number (you will need to play with this number to find active fish & get your lure in the strike zone) and then start a slow retrieve. as you work the lure in it will continue to sink to a maximum depth (dependant on cast length, count down, retreieve speed, drift speed.....) and then swing back up towards the surface.

It takes some experimenting but works at presenting your bait/lure to suspended fish. A rule of thumb I have often heard is that a 3/4 ounce spinner falls roughly 1 foot per seccond. But a better rule is to time the lenght of time that it takes to drop the lure from the surface to the bottom & roughly divide the water depth by that number. ie, if in 32 foot of water & it takes 20 secconds for your lure to fall to the bottom it falls at roughly 1.5 feet per seccond. so, if you cast & count to 12 your lure should start at ~18 feet.

6. Why is it that weight-forward spinners are so seldom mentioned when discussing inland lakes? With the exception of the post in this thread, I cannot recall anyone talking about using them inland with success. Considering their long-established record on Erie, they seem like a natural for inland lakes. Personally, I have not targeted walleye that often, so I don't have much experience to draw from. Would appreciate any input.

Tim

7. Suggest you use crankbaits with rattles, trolled at various depths. Uaually better to be in close to shore during the night but it can be a long night as the bite is not usually fast and furious. If you insist on drifting, then cast with spinners or cranks that make a lot on sound and fish at various depths until you find the count that works. The previously described swing cast is extreemly effective provided you have a fairly decent drift speed.

8. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I tried the mayfly rig and experienced problems with it hanging up in rocks. plus i do better with other methods. I am sure they would work very well drifting though, they are alot like a harness.

9. The short answer is that inland walleye/saugeye mostly relate to structure which makes it difficult to present a top-heavy spinner without getting snagged. Weight forward spinners are perfectly designed for the unique feeding behavior of "open water" walleye.

How do you know they're walleye??