Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit wingfoot again with a friend who's a novice fisherman. Really, you should of seen his first couple of casts! After seeing those casts, I decided bass fishing along the shoreline was a bad idea, so we headed for deep water.

Did some drifting with a hook, sinker, and worms/minnows. The bite was slow compared to 2 weeks ago, but we managed to get 13 keepers that were a mix of crappies, perch, and gills. Got there late(8:30am), so the crappie bite was likely over for the day by the time we launched. Still managed a few chunky 10 inchers. Kept 2 10" perch as well. Had a lot of short strikes this time, and some fish that I had on for a second, then they got off. I think it was cause were were using bigger minnows from Copeland's instead of the smaller ones I got from Mogadore Bait last time. Also, we were using nightcrawlers instead of dug worms.

The best spots yesterday were drifting past the right side of the islands if you're looking from the boat ramp.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most of the gills we were catching in the deep water were bigger 6-8 inchers. Caught a lot of 6-7 inchers one day when they were spawning in shallow water. Wish they were bigger, but they were decent. I prefer to catch the bigger redeared sunfish at the portage lakes, but wingfoot is a good panfish lake.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts