Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new boat with an electric motor on the bow. I am having them mount a locator on the bow, but they are saying they have to mount the transducer on the transom due to the coiling of the wire on the bow mount. Other than getting an electric motor with a built in transducer, is there any way around this. I want the ducer on the bow mount, but they say when the elec is lowered in the water, the locator wiring cannot go through the sleaves of the bow mount.

Also, anyone use drift socks while trolling? I have a 50 merc on the boat, I feel in is not going to troll down, will drift socks help?

Thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I just purchased a new boat with an electric motor on the bow. I am having them mount a locator on the bow, but they are saying they have to mount the transducer on the transom due to the coiling of the wire on the bow mount. Other than getting an electric motor with a built in transducer, is there any way around this. I want the ducer on the bow mount, but they say when the elec is lowered in the water, the locator wiring cannot go through the sleaves of the bow mount.

Also, anyone use drift socks while trolling? I have a 50 merc on the boat, I feel in is not going to troll down, will drift socks help?

Thanks,

Rich
guppygill,
I don't know about the transducer, but with my old 50 i was able to troll at .8 GPS speed. I don't think you will need a drift bag IMO.
Thanks,
Ron

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
I've never heard of not being able to put a puck transducer on the trolling motor.

Bags will get you down to a slow enough speed. On your boat you should only need to hang one that's the right size. I wouldn't worry about your outboard. I troll with my 150 for hours and never have any problems.

·
STX 206 Viper
1,870 Posts
I just installed a transducer on my trolling motor (MinnKota Autopilot). I used the transom-style transducer connected with a bracket that I got from BPS.
The wiring doesn't go through any sleeves, but I used cable ties at the top and bottom of the shaft and that works fine. The only thing that I don't like is that the wiring doesn't look as neat as it would with a built-in transducer.
Brian

·
getting wEYESer every day
1,288 Posts
my 40 on the 16.5 tin boat only gets down to 1.8. but i have a better gps this year. the old gps lost trac below 1.8.

My Matrix 20 loses track somewhere in that area too. That's why I've been posting about the Luhr Speed indicator. I'm thinking about using it for referrence and want to make sure I have it right.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Thanks Buckeye, will I have trouble with the sparkplugs fouling?
Guppygill,
I didn't have any problems with my plugs fouling the two years that I trolled with it.
Ron

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Everyone,
Hey Triton, I think that is what I am going to do, I have seen others use the cable ties. I have a Minnkota 55pd on the bow, that should work, correct? The transducer that comes with it is the skimmer type, all I would need to do is bracket it onto the bottom of the motor, that should work, correct?

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you need to slow your trolling speed, regular nylon drift socks are not the ticket. They are not strong enough and will blow out quickly. Get canvas trolling bags such as the Buggy Bags by Amish Outfitters. More expensive, but well worth the cost.

·
Tom B.
3,885 Posts
Guppygill: Hopefully you'll have no trouble, but if you do use some Seafoam additive. Worked great to clear my 125 of carbon.

Bob4246: Why do many people say the nylon bags will be destroyed by trolling? I'm sure the A.O. bags are of high quality, but my Drift Control bags have been through 6 years of trolling and are fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts