Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy is asking about a drift sock. I had heard you can you can use a 5 gallon bucket as well. Can anyone give me some info on this?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Use a 5 gallon bucket.
Drill a bunch of 1 inch holes in the bottom of it.
Attach a stout cord to the handle and throw it overboard to slow your drift.
Make sure the bucket handle does not come out of the bucket.
I make & use my own socks that are as good or better than anything you buy at the stores.
A few fellow OGFer's have them also.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have two 18" drift socks from amish outfitters, not the beefy bags, but they hold my 18-1/2' lund down very well in any fishable conditions. I think I spent about 50-60 bucks on them last spring. Very solid construction

Dave/tenrds

·
EYE GUY
461 Posts
I bought two socks from WalleyeGuy this winter use them Sunday at Turtle Creek. Thanks Again Owen!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I just got my walleyeguy drift socks in the mail yesterday and they are a QUALITY product!!
I can't wait to get them wet.:D

·
Original OGF Staff member and owner
13,427 Posts
I have 2- of walleye's bags on my boat. He is correct, they work as good as any I have seen. . As for toughness, they are sewed extra strong and will not come apart in any rough water. If you'd like to Check them out I'll be glad to show you the ones I have. I've had mine over a year now and used them in Canada last spring, worked great. Thanks again Owen. I love the bags.

·
STX 206 Viper
1,862 Posts
I just tried the 5 gal buckets at Mosquito last Friday. They worked great, slowed my drift from about 2.8mph to 1.5mph. I used 2 buckets, one at the bow, one at the stern. I drilled 6 one inch holes in the bottoms and tied on to 3 holes that I drilled near the top of the bucket (didn't trust the handle to hold). They kept me drifting with the wind, but without spinning the boat, very nice.
Brian

·
761 Posts
I'm another one with Walleyeguy's drift socks - they work great, used them for 4 years now and they are still like new.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,956 Posts
normd, go and check out jim stedke's on-line seminars page 57, reply 562. thats how i made some cheap, pretty durable buckets last season. i think they will last for a few more too. they only cost the price of the rope.

i tried to add it to this post, but seems that i can't?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
normd, go and check out jim stedke's on-line seminars page 57, reply 562. thats how i made some cheap, pretty durable buckets last season. i think they will last for a few more too. they only cost the price of the rope.

i tried to add it to this post, but seems that i can't?

Thanks for the info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts