Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Konfused Kayaker
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The girlfriend pretty much hates trying to troll, so we tried drifting with erie dearies and mayfly rigs sunday off Cleveland with nothing to show.
We were in the right areas, with people trolling all around us in the crib area.
Any ideas on what to do or not do? I was tipping half the mayfly rigs with leeches and that's the only rod I got hit on, but lost him.
I'm guessing we're just not hitting the right depths??

·
Cowboy Charters
1,660 Posts
use night crawlers and find out what depth the fish are at. Then do a countdown of the lure until you get to that depth and start reeling.

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
I drift occasionally around Cleveland. I use my trolling rods with the line counters. You need a good drift, at least two foot chop. In-line weights ahead of a 5' harness or spinner rig. Put out 4 rods with say 1oz weights and vary the line outs, maybe 20,30,40, and 50. If and when you catch one mark spot on gps and match the other rods to the one that produced. Try different color blades to see if there is a preference.

·
useless poster
8,804 Posts
i tried sunday too by the crib drifting with no luck . they are getting them in the 40 ft mark and the 20 ft mark off the gold coast.

·
Konfused Kayaker
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I was figuring we need to be able to control our lure depth more accurately. Back to the drawing board.....

·
Registered
571 Posts
depth and speed ---last night at beaver in 42ft i found they were up and changed to a 10 count with a 3/4 oz but sunday i fished the bottom and cut my retrieve in half and got a slow pick goin

when you first start--- count down how long it takes to go to the bottom and use that as a basis to keep your lure at the right depth

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
3 techniques I use most are :

1) for fish in the bottom half of the water, cast out a harness or weight forward, let your drift spool off a good bit of line, then begin a steady or pull and rest retrieve. Usualy, I start the retreive with a coupple good fast pulls to get my rod loaded and the spinner just off the bottom. Works well with a decent to good drift speed and low snag bottom.

2) count down as posted above.
3) fishing the swing. Cast forward or adjacent to drift direction and count down.

we use method #1 most of the time and do well. If you time it right, and the drift gods cooperates, you can work 2 rods continualy with one going out as the other is being worked in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts