close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Drift fishing on HOOVER????

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by meisterdog, Jul 1, 2004.

1. meisterdog

meisterdog mr. saturday night

:confused: :confused: I just got back from dundee MIch and purchased a drift sock for my boat. My question is does anyone find more success with the drift sock or are you all just drifting with the wind. I am anxious to get out next week and try the new sock out after I win all the money in Indiana on the tables. Ha Ha Ha.

:confused:

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

the sock should work if the wind speed justifies it.
    i don't use a drift sock on hoover,but if the wind is strong eneough to need one,i probably won't be drifting anyway :rolleyes: ;)
    i do ok drifting up to about 1 mph.above that,i'd rather troll or cast.seems that it's hard to get the right wind direction to set up a good drift,on many days.if it's not blowing just right,you can't stay in productive water(on the flats) for long.if you're just working a small area,it may be ok,but i like drifting the long flats.

3. toad

toad geriatrics supporter

I read that thread wrong. I thought it said "drifty" fishing on hoover, and thought it was a thread about misfit or Raybob. ;) :D :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  4. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Fred,

That's the first thought that came to my mind also when I saw the post with Misfit and drifting together in the same sentence:D Sorry Rick

Driftsocks really come in to play more during the cold water periods.

In the early season you need to be able to slow your presentations. On windy days in the early spring the drift sock is one of the best ways to accomplish that. During the late spring and summer periods with warmer water I don't use drifts socks. I usally want more wind and a faster drift. It makes sense that if you catch walleye and saugeye trolling from 2-3.5 MPH GPS in the summer, that fast drift speeds are benificial not a detriment.

Kim

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i should have known :rolleyes: :p to both of you ;)

kim,you make a valid point about warm weather drifting.maybe it's due to inactive or nuetral fish not reacting to a slow presentation,and speed will draw a reaction strike,more than one of hunger.
    since the question was about hoover,i mainly was trying to convey that the size and shape of hoover,sometimes makes drifting certain areas difficult.it's long and narrow,and lots of times,the wind just doesn't allow you to stay in the preferred depth.hoover has some gradual sloping flats,and the fish may be holding in 10 fow,but if the wind direction is wrong,you can be blown off real quick with,or without a sock.that's when the trolling motor comes into play ;)

6. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Rick,

So what you are really telling me is to actually read the question and respond appropiately? :D

Your right I was just talking drifting in general, not lake or location specific. I would like to fish your lake (Hoover) again sometime. It has been over 20 years.

Kim

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

:D :D sorta,lol.
    you should come up and fish it with me.sometimes it's tough to find the bigger fish,but it's fun to fish.can you say "quiet and peaceful"? :cool:

ps.....maybe fred will pay attention to your drift sock advise,and keep his in the boat from now on,instead of the closet :rolleyes: :D