Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have been catfishing twice in the past week. Here is the report of July 5th. when my grandson and I were invited to learn about drift fishing from my friend Mark.

July 5th. Met Mark at 06:00 then we all headed for a local lake for a drift fishing lesson. Around 06:40 we had the boat on the lake; it was already warm with no wind. Mark showed my grandson and I the way he cuts up his shad for bait. He told us how to watch the rod tips for bits, which is different than the sinkers bouncing over bottom. 07:00 we got our 4 rods in the water and he was using his trolling motor to move the boat. No bites so we moved to the deeper part of the lake at 08:30. He covered the lake from one end to the other. I had one bite but missed the fish. Three times Mark got a call from one of his friend fishing on the Ohio River reporting about catching blue cats.

At 10:30 we gave up on the lake and decided to head for the Ohio River, to try our luck. Got the boat in the river on the West side Of Cincinnati at 11:30 and headed down river. We got our lines in the river at 12:10; my grandson hooked his first fish at 12:10! It was a channel cat 5 lbs. 4 oz. 12:15my grandson boated his second channel cat, this one 4 lbs. 12 oz. 12:35 my grandson hooked his third Channel; this one was the biggest of the day. It weighed in at 5.5lbs. Then at 12 50 he caught a striper around 2 pounds. So I was busy taking pictures all that time.

13:05 Mark caught his channel cat about 1.5 lbs. in the mean time my grandson is still catch stripers around a pound or better. I did hook a catfish while my grandson was taking off one of his catches; mine was also on the smaller size. At 13:30 lighting and dark clouds down river caught our eyes. We headed back to the ramp and called it a day. We were very pleased that we fished the river. My grandson was the man with the biggest and most fish. He caught 3 channel cats and 6 stripers, Mark 1 channel cat and 1 striper, me 1 channel cat.
Not bad for the short time we had our lines in the river A great thanks to Mark for inviting me and my grandson on teaching us so much about how he drift fishes for catfish.The photo is of Mark and my grandson on Mark's boat.

http://cincinnaticatfishing.com

1 - 1 of 1 Posts