close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Drawing on watching bucks

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by gainer888, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Season opener was great...but didn't get a shot off. I watched 3 bucks come in to 12 yards. The smallest (5 pt) came out into the shooting lane first and watched me for 5 minutes until the bigger 8 came out and started looking at me. A couple of minutes later the 3 decided to jump into the corn. Weren't overly spooked as the 2 bigger 8s circled around and crossed at 49 yds, but no closer.

Any strategies to draw the bow when you have prying eyes on you? Anyone in this situation draw and not have the deer bolt? After watching the video (brother-in-law), there was one short instance I could have drawn, but in the moment you are looking for the "perfect" time to draw.

2. You don't. That's the only answer there is. Even if your able to get drawn before they bolt, they're on pins and needles by then. They WILL jump the string, and the very best you can hope for is a clean miss.
    Something in your set-up needs tweaking if your getting picked out this time of year.

3. This particular lane was wide open...I was about 16 ft up and couldn't go any further due to overhanging limbs. I throught about drawing before the first stepped into the lane, but wasn't going to shoot it and didn't want to be holding for a long time. Thinking the 5 pt would walk on, I waited to draw. The outcome was probably the best, they didn't seem that spooked, just not sure of the situation. Hopefully next time (if there is), they will come into a different lane or the lead will be the big one.

Thanks.

4. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

The ideal situation would be for you to be able to draw prior to the deer you are wanting to shoot entering your shooting lane. If it's wide open for you it's wide open for the deer also.

Not all bow draws are created equal. If you can hold your bow arm extended out towards your target and draw the bow back with minimal movement you can draw without being detected in a lot of instances short of them staring straight at you.

If you have to get the bow above your head or way out to one side and you look like your doing exercises on a home gym you have problems.

It would be to your benefit to be able to draw the bow back in one slow smooth movement with little to no movement of your bow arm. If you can't, lower your poundage, and keep practicing to build up those back shoulder muscles. I see a bunch of new guys trying to pull back their bows with their arms. They are just making it hard on themselves.

5. If your in a climber and reach tree limbs before getting to a good height, take the seat off the tree and hang it back on above the limbs. Climb up another foot or 2 so the base is just below the limbs. You may need to trim a limb or two to make room for the stand if there are multiple limbs. This will hide you much better.

6. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

This does not sound safe at all. Also, I consider 16' to be sufficient in most setups.

Sometimes you can do slow, smooth draw on a buck looking at you and it will work out. Sometimes the buck will continue to look at you for a minute or so and then will take a step or two and look away. This is when you can get that shot off. I would only attempt this if the buck is very close, 20 yards or less. Any farther and the problems M.Magis mentioned become more prevalent.

CG

7. M. Magis is right. If you can see their eyes, they can see you. It would seem your best bet is to draw before they hit that opening. You might be able to get away with drawing if you can draw straight back with minimal movement. Most people have their bows set too heavy to do that anyways and there's a huge chance you'll still be busted.

8. maybe its just personal prefrence but i never hunt any lower than my 20' climbing sticks.... i agree with super i would be mixed in with those brances