close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Drank the Kool-Aid

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by barefoot boy, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Well, I broke down, last week, and loaded one of my outfits up with braid. I took my Quantum Accurist reel and a Medium heavy 7' rod and spooled up with 30# Power Pro Hi-Vis yellow line. I added a Gamma 16# Flourocarbon leader, and tied on a Storm Swimmin' shad lure.
    Today was the first time I had a chance to test the outfit. On the second, very long, cast, I set the hook on an 8' log.:B :p :eek:. I said Oh S#@%t, I'm going to lose half of my line and a good lure. I put as much pressure as I could, on the rod, thumbing the reel for extra drag, and hoping I didn't break the rod. All of a sudden, the log began to move toward me. It took several minutes to bring it to shore, but, the line and the knot held!!! I was impressed with the performance of the line, and the blood knot line/leader connection.
    I just might be spooling up a few more reels with Power Pro.:)

2. I once pulled a log up off the bottom of cave run with 80lb Power Pro. It is good stuff.

3. Yep, I released it to fight again. ;)

4. Most of the time you will straighten a hook before you snap your line on a log. I have been using braid a good bit this year so far and the only problem I encounter is with rocks. Good stuff though, has landed me alot of fish I might not of caught with mono.

Jake

5. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

any one recomend a braid that has a bit of diameter?
    i have problems using the 20-30lb braids wrapping into hooks and split rings.
    would think if i could get a bit more diameter i could avoid a few frustrations.

6. just use a higher pound test line to get more diameter they normally have what mono line it is close to posted on the box

7. The One

The One Ret. 1SG U.S. Army

anyone have issues with braid (20lb power pro) and backlashes on a baitcaster is it any harder or easier to pick out?