close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Downtown

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Mushijobah, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

I have seen many pictures of large carp caught near cosi in downtown columbus. Are they pretty numerous in that area? Also, what is the best method of catching these carp? Please help!

2. I'd have to imagine wheaty balls and corn would work just about anywhere......

3. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i just use corn for them.. i have not try doughballs there, but was told many were caught that way..

4. Canned corn and/or nightcrawlers.

5. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

If ya have never fished downtown..remember this.
    Beware of the "locals" ,dont fish alone, dont fish under any of the bridges, dont fish after dark and you'll be ok!

Scott

6. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

What is a good method for getting them now? tightline?

7. Can't beat corn...I've also caught on pineapple boilies (flavored boiled doughbaits for those not familiar with them) and last year wheaties worked well.

8. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

No tightlines...let them be able to pick it up and run...a sliding sinker rig(just like a carolina rig), #6 -#4 hook, few kernals of sweetcorn...if using spinning reels , loosen the drag once you've casted out and taken up the slack..this way you wont lose your rod/reel when one of them tears off running on the take! All of my fish down there have taken the baits very well and screamed off on the take...but i use Baitrunner spinning reels....plus rod pod and bite alarms.

I know ive just checked out the USGS water usage site and its showing the river downtown rising and flowing a lot faster than when we fished it last week....if theres too much current you wont beable to fish that area very well..unless your using 4+ oz. of weight..lol

Scott

9. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Thanks for the help guys, whats the biggest one you have gotten there? Also, how many corn kernals to put on the hook?

10. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

I think the biggest carp caught from one of us carpers would have to be miso_ohio's 25 lb mirror carp...but there have been many 20 lbers caught there....the true potential of this spot has never been shown and i know there are 30-35+ lb carp in that pool....ive caught 2 30+ lbers from other areas of the scioto river.

How many?...depends on your hook size..put on as many that will cover the whole hook shank....leave the hook point exposed.

Scott

11. Speaking of current...saturday i was using 2 oz sinkers and they were just barely holding...but there was already quite a bit of debris causing trouble on my lines. I can only imagine it's worse now...

12. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Thanks guys....I have always guessed that pool held some carp due to its characteristics. What is the bottom made of? How deep is it? Is there a high carp density?

13. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

its kinda pebble bottom in some area with big chunks of rocks around about the middle of the river..thats what i'm thinking.. plus you will find that the snags are plentiful down there .. the depth varied from 6 to 11ft depending on where you are..some part are deeper i'm sure..just no way to find out for sure from shore..
    i'm not sure on the density of the carp there.. i have just now caught carp out of that river for the first time last november. and only for 1 day only.. then this past week is my second lucky streaks..

14. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Thanks guys, maybe i will see you down there during a low flow period. I have set a goal for this year, a 25 pound or more carp out of ohio waters. I hope this spot is good!

15. when i drove by this morning the water was way up. i am sure it is higher yet. don't underestimate the griggs and o'shaughnessy reserviours either. There are all a part of the same river system. and might be a heck of a lot safer for a young guy. I caught 1 over 20lbs at griggs. They are over 30 in both.

Marc

16. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

I agree with Mark 100%...both Griggs & O'Shy. res. hold loads of carp..just ask GMRguy about his trip up last year, he caught some nice ones above Griggs.

I have a few spots along these Res. and they have each produced carp over 20+ lbs. and consistantly produce very nice sized carp. My buddy Dave's PB of 25 lbs. came from one of these spots. Plus my PB Mirror carp of 17 lbs.

I look at these Res. as just BIG pools on the Scioto river..there not set up like most Res. and they keep the current flows..which to me is a big key in fishing large bodys of water.

The Scioto river is an awsome fishery and im just glad most have'nt figured out its secrets and learned how to fish it....ive got two 30's(30.9 & 34.7) from this water and plan on putting much bigger on the bank this year . there are 40's swimin' in it and i plan on finding them....hehehe

Scott

PS, Dave said to tell you guys it was very nice to meet all of you down at COSI and he cant wait to spend more banktime with everyone up at East Harbor....im pretty sure hes the newest Ohio CAG member and is very excited to get to know everyone and start fishing the events.

See ya all up North in a few weekends....