Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
Here are a few questions that were posed to me. Because I don't fish lake Erie very often, I could not give an accurate answer. So please help me out.

Does anybody still use downriggers in the western basin? Were they not the method of choice years ago? Don't they allow you to accurately place your lure at a specified depth? Is it true you can use a lighter spinning rod outfit with this setup because the downrigger is taking all the strain off the rod?

I realize everybody is using dipseys and jets to place their lure and can get pretty accurate with those tools, but why NOT downriggers?

Are they not used anymore because of the water clarity and spooking the fish?

Thanks for your future insight,
ski

·
Registered
391 Posts
I see a few guys using downriggers, but far more using boards and-or discs. I think that it is just much easier to run discs. Downriggers are a pain and I only run them as a last resort.

Jim

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I agree with Jim. I had them on my last boat but never bothered to mount them on my present one. With the shallow water of the western basin I just think its a lot easier to catch fish with dipsys ,jets, and boards.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
since you do not fish lake erie very often, then it would be hard to justify the money for a pair of them. To me , they are just "another tool in the box". Sure come in handy for those steelies!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't even have a boat. My buddy, who drift fishes lake Erie often, asked me these questions. My dad had them on his boat and he had to have mounting brackets installed/made. Seemed like a pain to me. Do you have to use heavier rods and reels for downriggers? or can you use lighter tackle?
ski

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Lot of guys with more experience can give you better input than I. Here's my thoughts.

Downriggers are best suited for deep water. You will find more people running them the further east you go in Erie because the lake is deeper out east.

In the shallower western basin, people can get deep enough running jets and dipsy type products at a fraction of the cost of downriggers.

The deeper the water you are trying to fish...the better the fit for downriggers.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
we have found that they work with limited success.I have found that big planner board are the way to I run them all the way out and catch most fish away from the boat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts