Downriggers...Big Johns vs Cannons???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by c75, Jan 16, 2008.

1. c75

c75

Anybody got any pluses or minuses on one brand vs the other?

2. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Like most things, I think you'll find it's all a matter of personal preference. Both have been around a long time and are used a lot on the Great Lakes.

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Kagee said it well.
    I have cannons on my boat and love them. I have also used Big John down riggers and find them as good. Both make great down riggers and either would be a good choice.

4. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

I use Cannons but like the others said, both work fine. GET electrics though, don't mess with the hand crank hassle. Cannons have an auto retrieve to free you up and they will auto stop before the ball comes out of the water. I don't know if the others do that.

5. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Bit by Musky bug

Both make a quality rigger that should provide many years of trouble free use. While hanging out at the docks on a blow day in Olcott I was checking out all the different riggers that the charter captains use as there bread and butter presentation and saw a big mix between Big Jon, Cannon, Penn Vector, Walker and Riveria, all of these companies make good products with good warranties. I would look at the feature set before making a decision, length of booms, auto stops, Ft per second, swivel bases, etc.

I have used both Penn Manuals, Cannon electric and manual both worked great. Auto stop, swivel base and extendable booms are a must IMO>

Good Luck with your choice.

6. I installed a pair of Cannon Mag5s on my rig last year and couldn't be happier. The Mag5s have a 2' fixed boom, which is fine in my application as I only run two riggers (one off each side), at any given time. I've also used the Big Jons while fishing aboard Lundy's boat, and they are a fine rigger, as well.

7. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

I have cannons and the manual clutch sucks. If I had to do it over again, I would spend the extra bucks and definitely go with electric.

8. I have cannons with the manual clutch and they work great. you can find them cheap on ebay too. almost nothing to wear out, although I stripped a hand crank, but was able to replace it. Also I think I can crank them up faster than the motors on the electrics. The new ones hand crank even faster; two to one I believe. I was going to get electrics but I just couldn't justify the cost.

9. The new Cannon HS (high speed) models are scary fast. The first time I hit the 'up' button on mine, I thought the ball was going to blow by the end of the boom and shoot fifty feet in the air.

10. What about the Vectors - any feedback on those.
    They look pretty rugged to me?

11. K gonefishin

I'm buying a set of Vectors next month, they are very well built and very very fast. My buddy has a set and loves them big time he talked me into Vectors. He said they are scary fast, nice rodholders and finish on them as well, built like a truck with a liftetime warranty.

12. c75

c75

appreciate the replys....so it appears I want electric, with auto stop, and swivel base

thanks again.

13. I've got a pair of used Walkers I'd sell if you want a good deal. Just send me a PM if interested.

14. K gonefishin

I already have something worked out with someone if it falls through I'll let you know. What model ??

15. I have ran walkers and cannon in the past, both were good. I have used Big Jons and they were good.

Now......last summer I put a set of Scottys on and I have to say these are by far my favorite yet.