close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

downrigger rods same as planer board rods?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by EE, Apr 26, 2005.

1. EE

EE

Saw some trolling and planer board rods at the Bass Pro Shop last weekend, they were 8'6", Medium Action Walleye Angler's (Bass Pro Shop rods).
    I was wondering if anybody has any thoughts on whether these rods are also good for downriggers, or if there are rods that should be used differently for downriggers.

2. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

You could make any rod work, but there are downrigger specific rods out there.

Downrigger rods are generally a little more limber, due to the fact that there is constant pressure on them from the rigger ball.

In my opinion, you can't beat the Ugly Stick BWD rods (big water downrigger) for price, quality, and performance.

3. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Hetfiedinn, is right. Application specific rods are made for both planner/dipsy trolling but you can use just about any rod for both. I do prefer a downrigger rod because they are a lot softer and can really be loaded up off the release. This seems to aid in setting the hook also.
    Take a look at the "Performance Plus" rods in medium action, 8'0"-8'6" length. They're a blast with a heavy salmon on...you may think they're going to snap in half but you can keep a lot of pressure on a fish with these rods. They're sold at Bass Pro and are very reasonably priced (around $30). The ugly sticks are a good choice too...plenty of charter boats up on lake Michigan use them.