Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a couple used downrigger setups and 1 of the downrigger balls had this attached. It has a quick clip on the other end. What is this for? Doesn't look like any release I have seen. My only guess is a weight retriever of some sort.

20210721_184101.jpg
20210721_184109.jpg

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
My guess is that's used as a slider. Send your downrigger with line down to say 50'. Then clip that around the downrigger cable and clip another line on and using the linecounter on your reel, send it down to 40'. That way you can run two lines off one downrigger. Chamberlain and Blacks both make sliders of their releases.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
740 Posts
How's it work? Dont plan on using it but I'm curious as I can't picture what gets done with it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Dont really know much about them either but i have a few i also got when i purchased some downriggers , I will check around and see if i can get some info for you .

·
Registered
371 Posts
See the link below. They were \ are primarily used for salmon fishing. You would attach a 1 lb. Lead weight to them and pull the line to drop the weight when a fish was on. So, every time you caught a fish you lost a pound of lead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts