close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Download Accellerator Plus

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by AndroDoug, Jan 18, 2005.

1. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

In the past month or so I have downloaded a downloader called DAP (above). It seems to be better and easier than other free download optimizer programs. It works very well with what I need it for. However, when I run my spyware removal programs, it considers DAP a severe threat or infection. I never get too many popups as I have pop-up stopper. I don't see an increase after I DLed DAP.

DO you think it is safe? Has anyone ever had experience with DAP? I am leaning towards the spyware removal programs just err on the safe side and that DAP is safe. Input???

2. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

i'm not expert on these accel programs, but have always heard it will not increase your speed when downloading files, only speeds up webpages loading.

i think it has to do with compressing the webpage images so they're smaller, thus coming down quicker.

if you don't see an increase, why bother with it?
    'specailly if your spyware programs "call it out". i'm not saying dump it or keep it as i have never ran these when i was on d/up. google for that program and spyware in the same search......see what comes back....... :)

3. catlover

catlover Banned

I have not used DAP for years. The original version did 2 things. It would keep trying to re-estiblish a connection to finish an already started d/l, also it would attempt to complete a d/l that had been aborted intentionally. It also "phones home" and does give out info about d/ls and sites visited. Unlike spyware it is tagged with your IP address and other info you gave to register (most spyware claims to be anonymos). If you have cable or dsl you will never need it. If you are on dial-up weigh the odds as it does allow you to continue from where you stopped off. It can be usefull on large files like windows updates. I do remember the days of 2 hour plus downloads.
    Catz