close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Doves-

Discussion in 'Upland Game and Hunting Dogs' started by catking, Aug 19, 2004.

1. catking

catking Banned

Hey guys and gals- I'm curious as to who out there hunts doves? How do they taste?...THE CATKING !!!

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

If you have ever ate Quail, they taste really close. Tough bird to hunt though.

3. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I work with a woman who is an avid dove hunter with her husband. She says they are her favorite to hunt, and eat. Keep in mind though, I could see her biting the heads off of live chickens too, so I don't know how accurate her assessment is ;)

4. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

I take the breast from the dove and cut it into several strips, then I marinate them in BBQ Sauce and grill them.

5. I hunt them and they make great table fare! I breast them out and take a slice of jalapeno pepper with a slice of cheddar and sandwich them all together with a strip of bacon wrapped around the outside pegged with a toothpick to hold eveything together and grill the sucker! There is nothing better!

Jason

6. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

I have never done it before but intend on trying my hand at it this season...along with duck and goose.

Mitch

7. The jalapeno sounds good, they are dry, so I too wrap them in bacon--don't grill too long though.

Won't be long----good hunting!!!

8. WLB

WLB Northern Ohio Fisherman

My 16 year old son hunts them, I watch :D Man those birds can fly fast, if you think your a good shot give these little birdies a try :)

9. Bring plenty of shells !!!
    I learned my leason years ago LOL

10. Dove hunting is one of the few true sports where the game has the advantage. They are a very smart foe that flies at 60 mph and can juke and jive with anything. I hunted them for years then kinda quit hunting anything. Now I am getting back into Dove hunting. I'm no expert shot but, I'm not a bad shot either and I usually take at least 4 boxes of shells......lol
    As far as cooking them I peel out the breast and wash them real good. Then I may dip them in a little egg and then roll them in cracker crumbs and thats it. I truly love the taste of Dove meat so I don't cover it up with anything else. The meat is very dark and has a little bity tenderloin (I think) next to the bone that is a little lighter. Also its one of the few sports that takes several hunters working together to keep the birds flying or they will just land out of range and feed.

11. catking

catking Banned

Wow !! Great info. I had no idea that there were so many guys that hunted these small birds. So I take it they are about as hard to hit as grouse? I hunted grouse for a few years before giving up hunting altogether. Thanks for all the replies....CATKING

12. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

If Da King is going to start dove hunting, methinks the dove population is in no danger!

13. 9 birds with two boxes ain't bad.....lol

I used to go to Canada fishing and I would bring my .22 rifle to Grouse hunt..........I know some of you will not believe this but Grouse up there must not have any fear of man. You ease around a wooded area and spot Grouse sitting on tree limbs and just shoot them, they don't fly away, if you miss just shoot again........lol Snowshoe Rabbit and Grouse is one fine meal!!!!!

I highly recommend having someone with a big bore rifle along for back up. BEARS..........!

14. Procraftboats21

Man I wish I could find some grouse that would sit still for a second, they usualy flush and when I shoot I wack a tree :D Ive only killed 1 but last year was my first year hunting them. I went out 3 times and had 5 flushes.

15. Grouse are not around like they use to be... I know a place in Pa where a fellow can get 20-30 flushes a day !!

16. traphunter

traphunter Guest

I usually go over to fallsville ever year. When that gets hunted out I go over to private land. It should not be to packed this year at Fallsville though cause they are having one of them controlled hunts. I just hope my name gets drawed though. If not I will probably head over to paint creek. The way we eat them is to fillet the breat meat and then wrap it in bacon and apple and then hook it for a short while over the grill. MMmm very good :)

17. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

My uncle has told me stories about when they went to canada that they would get a grouse or two every year with a sling shot or just throwing a rock. I saw grouse when I went but couldn't find any close rocks and then the bird ran into some thicker cover. But in ohio, I would have to say that doves are easier to hit than a flushed grouse. I can get a dove for about every 3-5 shots and with grouse its seems like I get one every 8-10 shots

18. Procraftboats21

The national average is 1 dove per 7 shots so one out of every 3-5 Isn't bad!

19. Hey Catking-

whats up man,

i love to hunt these fast fliers, and they are not easy to kill. let me say it this way instead, they are not easy to hit all of the time, take plenty of shells. I have heard of study that say that an average dove hunters gets about 3-4 birds per box of shells, but not sure how accurate this is. anyway, i like to breast out the bird, and then i fry them in low heat just to sear them really, then wrap in a half peice of bacon and broil until bacon is cooked,,,,yuuuuum,mmmyyyy-----tony

20. I'll be heading to Wellington in Lorain County and/or Spencer in Medina County for the first two days. I may head to some private land mid-day and set out some goose decoys.

I will sometimes roll the dove breasts in diluted lime juice and pan fry them, but usually salt & pepper and on the grill they go. Kind of tough keeping them from falling throught the grates!