Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,631 Posts
I have but it has been years ago pulled in the parking down by the dam nice area to fish I would check it out I've been thinking of going again and if I do will let you know

· Premium Member
1,000 Posts
And for some reason they seem to have the access to the lower lot gated off a lot of the time....
Yep that sucks it makes access a bit tougher. And it seems like MWCD must have gotten a bunch of money for rip rap. They dumped a bunch at all the spillways, makes it tough on us older guys 😕 broken leg waiting to happen!

· Registered
2,631 Posts
Yep that sucks it makes access a bit tougher. And it seems like MWCD must have gotten a bunch of money for rip rap. They dumped a bunch at all the spillways, makes it tough on us older guys 😕 broken leg waiting to happen!
tough is right I have a tough time on level ground let alone trying to traverse those rocks

· Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Yeah all that riprap they put down at Atwood spillway is terrible! Somebody is gonna find me laying there unconscious one of these days. I'm too stubborn to stay off of it.
Hahaha I’m hip man, not to mention they ruined the whole south side for most people. I talked to the guy doing it at the time and he said “We’re going to make it really nice for you guys.” Lmao!

· Registered
2,631 Posts
Nice! That's hilarious. Lol. Can't fish it in the summer due to the gases and the rest of the time it's wet/frozen and slippery. Just another bunch of people with a piece of paper that says they're "smart", but zero common sense!
you forgot mosquito's

2,391 Posts
And for some reason they seem to have the access to the lower lot gated off a lot of the time....

Back in the mid-late 60's below the gates was one of the best places to fish for big carp. Used my strawberry dough and caught loads of big girls....Had a lot of fun back then....

· HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
5,680 Posts
Nice! That's hilarious. Lol. Can't fish it in the summer due to the gases and the rest of the time it's wet/frozen and slippery. Just another bunch of people with a piece of paper that says they're "smart", but zero common sense!

Oh man,,, you just fired me up!
Ya,,,, This isn't giving a 'fishing report',, but DAMMMIT, this stuff needs to be said, constantly,,, till the right people get it right!

I believe it's just 2 different entities, who are NOT disusing the (construction design) situation, & NOT trying to help each other out.
So we, as aged sportsman, are loosing more & more of our EASY access to our favorite fishing holes. Slowly but surely.

Case in point;
All of the dam removals along the Mahoning river. I/ WE lost dozens of our 'easy access' fishing HOLES! Below those dams, both sides.
Yes, the canoeists get a beautiful float,,, but all of 'us' (mostly handicapped) SENIORS lost a bunch of our bank fishing access. A MASSIVE LOSS THERE. :<(

New Brighton Dam. One fantastic park, with handicapped access to One awesome fishing walkway & platform.
BUT,,,, when they built the concrete platform, they didn't dredge out the hundreds of boulders that are out in front of it.
I fish there, & I sit there watching dozens of families get frustrated from the constant snags. Those families eventually pack up & quit.
ALL of that time & money spent, and leaving one huge glitch.
Then they doubled the dam's electrical KW output, & that doubled the flow along the bank,,, & now it's almost impossible for a newbie to fish there.
A little dredging, & a few stone rip-rap wingwalls sticking out into the fast water, could fix it all.

And LIKE,
All of the rip-rap placed below the dams (that I fish) from Pymi Pa down to Wheeling.
REALLY,,, would it kill someone to let the construction crew make a decent walking path down those steep hills?
How about leveling out those huge boulders, along the waterline!?
Please,,, BUILD US A SAFE, WALKING & STANDING BENCH IN THOSE HILLSIDES!?

I'm a retired Operating Engineer.
I tore down steel mills,,,, I built & rebuilt dozens of bridges, laid gas, oil & water pipelines across many rivers & creeks.
While finalizing those jobs, I would BEG the inspectors to let me build concrete pads under those bridges,,, just allow me to make walkways down the steep banks. Build ACCESS, so US old farts can SAFELY go fish when we retire!.
I'd say,, PLEASE allow me to place some rubble in the waters below a bridge column or dam for structure, or to build concrete rip-rap wing walls out into the water, to create backwashes & still-water ponding for the egg laying fish.

How many times, I built flat concrete pads under those bridges, & was ordered to tear them back out.
I was told, Absolutely NOT! I constantly tried.

Answer was,
If, I was allowed to build any of those 'safe fishing spots', where a sportsman would have more access,,, & they MIGHT GET HURT,,,, the state would be liable.

100% BS. Again, Your tax dollars at work.

THANKS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts