Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if it is safe to eat from below the Dover dam? Found some nice saugeye just below the dam in the spillway. Released every one because I'm not sure about eating them. Anybody know about this?

·
1,802 Posts
does anyone know if it is safe to eat from below the Dover dam? Found some nice saugeye just below the dam in the spillway. Released every one because I'm not sure about eating them. Anybody know about this?

Why not? They come from Atwood and Leesville Lake....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have always been weary about eating anything from the tusc. I know that certain parts are definitely unsafe. Lots of pollution and illegal dumping through the years. There are definitely some lunkers in there tho. I threw back 2 fish ohio's from there. Next time I will be eating them. Thank you for the explanation and advice! It is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
maybe check if there is an advisory on the ODNR site?

I know in years past I've eaten alot of frog legs from the river but you dont even hear one anymore. Dont know the reason but makes ya wonder?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
maybe check if there is an advisory on the ODNR site?

I know in years past I've eaten alot of frog legs from the river but you dont even hear one anymore. Dont know the reason but makes ya wonder?
We gigged frogs by the bushel in this area. I live about 500yds from a large pond that was a watering point for narrow gauge railroad. In the summer the bullfrogs kept up the chorus all night. The last 10 yrs the frog population is down severely. I can’t figure it out. There is nothing new that has been introduced into the environment. There are lots of things gone, like there is not one industry or mine left in the whole county. Can’t blame it on fracking because farm ponds all over the area have no or little frog populations.
I would be interested to know frog situation in other parts of Ohio.

·
1,802 Posts
We gigged frogs by the bushel in this area. I live about 500yds from a large pond that was a watering point for narrow gauge railroad. In the summer the bullfrogs kept up the chorus all night. The last 10 yrs the frog population is down severely. I can’t figure it out. There is nothing new that has been introduced into the environment. There are lots of things gone, like there is not one industry or mine left in the whole county. Can’t blame it on fracking because farm ponds all over the area have no or little frog populations.
I would be interested to know frog situation in other parts of Ohio.

A very large population of raccoons may be the problem. Not many hunt them anymore, at least not for their pelts and they are thick in my area....no frogs either

1 - 10 of 10 Posts