close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Double Cowgirl

Discussion in 'Muskie & Pike Discussions' started by obrien040362, Sep 8, 2008.

1. obrien040362

obrien040362 figure 8

What is the best way to fish a double cow girl.

Fast retreive?, Start stop style retreive?

2. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

SPEED is key with the DCG. Steady retreive and then speed up as you approach the end of the cast. Also, keep the turns on your 8 extra wide. That lure has been deadly for me this year.

3. obrien040362

obrien040362 figure 8

Thank Jim

I will keep it hooked to the line a little longer next time. I always put it on the take off after 10 to 15 casts (thinking I am fishing it wrong). I just have more confidence with a crankbait or plug.

4. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

In all seriousness (if that is a word?), I usually have a DCG on my spinnerbait rod at all times. It is no fluke that the DCG has produced more 50 inch muskies than any other bait on the planet. If you are fishing in stained water, I would slow the retreive down a little bit, but for the most part, those double blades move so much water it doesn't really matter.

According to some recent research, there are physical reasons why the DCG is so effective. They say that from the back of the lure to about 18 inches behind the lure is called the "dead zone." No sound, no vibration, no nothing. The double blades cause a netural effect in the water that drives a muskie crazy. A fish that comes up to follow the lure can feel the massive vibrations, and when he gets within the dead zone, he feels nothing. He can still see the lure, and they just attack when they can no longer track the lure with their lateral line.

5. obrien040362

obrien040362 figure 8

Right now I am in very clear water (CC). Visibility is 3 to 4' or so. Almost, too clear.

6. go on muskiefirst.com
    I swear 2 out of every 3- 50in fish are reported caught on a DC-10.

If memory serves me right there are plenty of 40+ fish caught on them too.

I had one in my tackle box last year- but it decided he didn't want to be tied down and broke free of my leader in one of those monster casts at WB last year.... :( Have to buy another one soon.

7. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

I've caught 30 inchers on both the DCG and Magnum Bulldawgs