close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Double bait trolling

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by jcrdust, May 25, 2004.

1. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on trolling double baits? I found the technique on the luhr-jenson site and figured it was worth a try. With my luck trying to run a spoon and crankbait off the same line will be a giant tangle waiting to happen. Has anyone tried it?

2. I did years ago but not lately and din't have too many tangles. three way swivel with a spoon on top and crank on the bottom. Just watch carefully when you let it out. i think it would help in lake erie now even more than before. Would imitate a school of bait.

3. Big tangles everytime i've tried, never got through a day without them tangling. Did catch fish though.

Jason

4. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

As Exexec said, the important thing is to let line out slowly. It can be a deadly method on suspended fish. You can imagine the cluster if you tried to use it to target fish on the bottom. Keep your Crankbait on the bottom lead, the shorter (24"-30")of the two. 6 feet or so is about all you want on the top (spoon or harnes) lead.

5. When using this method, for example, make sure that abide by the fishing regulation rules. By Ohio rules, you can only use up to 3 hooks on one line. For instance, you can't use a crankbait that has 3 treble hooks and a spoon that has 1 treble. Each of the treble hooks on the crankbait counts as 1 hook each, making that 3 hooks on the crankbait and 1 hook on the spoon.

Darryl

6. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

bigfoot, read the Ohio regs re: hooks allowed. A crankbait, no matter how many trebles on the lure, on inland waters and the Ohio River, counts as 1 hook. A spoon and crank would be 2 hooks. You probably read the Erie treble restrictions which are different and only apply to the bays and tributaries on Erie.

7. All right next question. Assumeing I can let out the lines with out a tangle how wide should I make my turns to avoid tangles while trolling. I have also seen several posts about a precision trolling book. Where can one find such a book.

8. Jim,

I was basing my statement on what was listed in Denied's Website in the Helpful Hints section of his site. Here's the question that he had asked the ODNR.

I sent a question to OHIO DNR regarding the number of hooks allowed per line. My question was if I were running a 3-way off a single line could I use crank bait with three treble hooks and a harness with additional hooks. I way trying to find out if the “3 hooks per line” actually meant hooks or baits. Their answer follows and the law does mean hooks. So you can have out two lines per fishermen with no more than 3 hooks per line total. A treble hook counts as a single hook.

Answer:

Under Ohio law you cannot run more than 3 hooks per line, so if your Crankbait has 3 treble hooks then that is your 3 hooks, it would be a violation to attach a worm harness to this type of rig. Remember that 1 treble hook even though there are 3 hooks on it is considered 1 hook. I hope this clarifies your question.

Wildinfo_Law [Wildinfo.Law@dnr.state.oh.us]