Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
"The Widow's Son"
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It saddens me to inform the fishing community that we lost a Great one tonight.

Don was my fishing partner, brother in Christ, and most importantly, my best friend.

Don put up a courageous and strong fight over the last year in his fight with Melanoma. He was diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma, a form of skin cancer. One final lesson that Don wanted to pass on is to use prevention towards the effects of the harmful rays.

Funeral arrangements are incomplete but calling hours will be at Ferfolia Funeral Home, http://www.ferfolia.com/, in Sagamore Hills and final internment will be at Riverside VA cemetary in Rittman, OH with full military honors.

Don was always full of wit and humor and all his antics on the boat will never be forgotten.

To you my friend, one final fish call that Don would always use on the boat....SooooooWeeeeeeePiiiig RaaaaaazzzzzzorBack

Tears on my keyboard,
Mark Carr

·
Registered
769 Posts
I did not know the man personally, but bought lures from him several times. He always treated me more than fair, not many people around like that anymore.

R.I.P. Don

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,866 Posts
Don was my friend and I had the pleasure to fish with him several times. It was always a blast and he never held back calling my boxes of stinger spoons junk, I'm sad to hear he's gone. Rest in peace Don.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
This is sad news to read. I know the last time we talked at the lake he was puting up a strong fight. It won't be the same not seeing the two of you together at the tourneys. Sorry for the loss of your best friend Mark. Prayers go out to the family and friends. Cancer Sucks
Bob

·
I AM THE VOICE OF REASON!
1,428 Posts
Very sad news indeed.

I like many of us knew Don and considered him a friend. He was generous to a fault! He will be missed. His family is in my prayers.

RIP Don

Dixie Chicken

·
Administrator
9,380 Posts
please accept my condolence. Very sad news indeed.

Sent from my EVO 3D via Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
864 Posts
My condolences to his family.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,421 Posts
Rest in peace Don, you were an asset to the fishing community and a great friend to many, my condolences to close family and friends. You will be missed dearly.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I was fortunate to know Don, we werent tight but have had a few discussions over some beers and many more on the phone. I loved hearing his theories on how walleyes see colors and migraton and so on. The first time I contacted Don to order some of his spoons he invited me (And AJ) to his house do basically pick at his stock. Who invites strangers to come over and rummage through his inventory? Ole Pete thats who! Every spring I would order his hair jigs....which in my opinion the best made...he would custom paint anything you asked and he would try until it was perfect his eyes. I didnt know him very well but am glad I got to know him as much as I did. Wish I would have had the chance to fish with him.

Rest In Peace Ole Pete, you were one of "the good ones"

Sent from my XT907 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
"The Widow's Son"
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The first time I contacted Don to order some of his spoons he invited me (And AJ) to his house do basically pick at his stock. Who invites strangers to come over and rummage through his inventory? Ole Pete thats who!
Brian, This is so true and shows the unselfish character that Don showed to all.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Sad to hear of Don's passing. He was a very generous person and would help you on any question you might have in catching walleye. I know I have called him many times after meeting him at the Cleveland Boat show and buying some of his blades and spoons.
Condolences to his family and the many friends that he leaves behind.

Ron

·
Konfused Kayaker
5,117 Posts
So sad to hear!

I met him a few years ago after ordering some perch spoons. After he saw my address,
he called and said "Just come over and pick some up. You only live 4 blocks away, not worth mailing them!" If everyone was that friendly, the world would be a nice place!

·
Super Moderator
3,896 Posts
RIP my condolences to his family and all of the friends he had here on OGF and Lake Erie. He sounded like a great fisherman and tacklemaker.

Let's all take a lesson from this and protect ourselfs from the harmful sun.

·
"The Widow's Son"
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Calling hours are Wednesday, Sept. 18th from 4-8 PM. Obit will be in Sunday's Plain Dealer.

Ferfolia Funeral Home
356 West Aurora Road
(Ohio State Route 82)
Sagamore Hills, OH 44067

Burial will be Thursday, Sept. 19th at 1 PM.

Ohio Western Reserve National Cemetery
10175 Rawiga Road
Rittman, OH 44270

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Mark and Don's Family,
My sympathy goes out to you all.
Several years back, by chance, while fishing the night bite I had a chance to fish with Don after he was invited by a third party to tag along.
I never knew Don before that night and like they say never judge a book by its cover. When I left that night, it felt like I knew Don for years.
I fished with Don that night and made a friend out of it. We stayed in touch the next few years and on a regular basis were chatting about fishing, lures and whatever else.
The thing is I did most of the listening and he did most of the talking. He was such an unselffish person and cared about everyone else. He wanted to see you catch fish and at times seemed like he was more happy when you had a great day on the water over himself!
Whether it was info on the bite, tips for lures or just plain talk in general Don always cared for the other guy and it was sincere.
I am honored to have the chance talk with Don and get to know him just a little.
RIP Don

·
Dough Boy
1,866 Posts
Never met Don but have plenty of his tackle. Seems like we lost another good one. Prayers sent out.

Sent from my XT907 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 20 of 34 Posts