Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
TeamOGF
6,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you do your own repairs?

I have a 1998 Johnson 70 hp. that I need to get the water pump changed on and am wondering just exactly how challenging a job it is?

Is this a job you would do, or have done before?

Thanks. ;)

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
done it on smaller motors . if your mech inclined . its not a hard job . don;t hurt to take a pick as you undo things . I did have mine done by a shop .$250bucks . $25 worth of parts . merc I/O that won;t happen again .

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
You can do it. The hardest part is putting the lower unit back on. The pump is easy. If you don't have the manual try a library. They probably have a book with the information.

·
Administrator
9,455 Posts
Your question is subjective as we don't know your mechanical skills.

I've done it on every outboard I've owned as well as the I/O I currently have. No big deal for me. Then again I personally know people who couldn't even change the oil.

With a factory service manual, proper tools and some mechanical apptitude, it is on a scale of 1-10 a 5. (IMO).

·
TeamOGF
6,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True enough KaGee...

My mechanical level is pretty decent. I wrenched on my '65 musclecar from front bumper to back bumper - changing engines, intakes, headers, carbs, etc. :D

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Just remember how you took it apart while you are putting it back together.
A manuel will be needed for bolt torking presures.
Do not let anything move in the motor while it is apart, or you will be spending a long time getting it back together right.(Remove key and if possible, have the motor in gear to prevent things from moving on you).

·
TeamOGF
6,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the help, and offer of help guys.

I found a local certified marine repair place that will do it for under $100.00 labor and I'm going to let them fix it during this bad weather, I think. ;)
By the time I buy the service manual and parts, I'd have about half the cost into it to let them fix it, and this weather is crap for working outdoors. :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts