Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dog, great little (30lb) beagle mix. He's generaly prety good, but we have a few nusance behavior issues we need to address (grabbing things/food off tables/counters, excessive play biting/mouthing, fettish for shoes & feet especialy my duaghters).

We have gone through basic puppy training in a group format and he does the basic commands most of the time. We had a trainer (affiliated with a national franchise chain) come to our house for a "free demo" he was using an e-collar and it seemed to work really well but the price of his services = sticker shock. We are thinking of getting a decent e-collar and a book or two. Has anyone used these? Is it somthing I can do on my own without guidance from a high dollar trainer? Any advise/tips? I know they have people religously for and against their use.

·
1950's Outboards Rule
1,067 Posts
exercise then obedience. but mostly exercise. exercise really calms a dog down. give the dog some exercise and then try your luck at the training thing WITHOUT a collar. lots of patience is the only way to go.

·
Fish against the fish...
1,110 Posts
call patty over at cleverpup in akron. she used ot be my print rep -- and decided to follow her passion and is an awesome dog trainer. I'm sure if you call her and explain what you are after she can tell you what you need without going overboard.

·
Premium Member
10,898 Posts
E collars work great unless you want to do all of your training on a leash.

We acquired, not planned, a 3 month old stubborn golden. he has very selective hearing and his previous owners let him be the boss. It doesn't take them long.

We were concerned he would just take off or get out in the road. We have a fairly large property and need to be able to let our dogs out with us without the need for a leash or needing to watch them every second they are out with us.

I purchased a collar after a bunch of research and watching how the "Dog Whisperer" used one on one of his shows. We used it on our dog to just reinforce commands and teach property boundaries. It worked very well. They first few months we put it on him every time we were out. The first 2-3 weeks were pretty constant use and trying to determine what he responded to the best. After the first 3 weeks I don't think we would actually push the button but maybe once of twice a week to correct behavior. He knew he had it on and would respond and respect property lines without pushing the button. We gradually reduced the times we would put it on him until we never put it on him anymore unless we are taking him into a new situation where his still inner puppy nature would get the better of him. He has only had in on 2-3 times during the last 8 months.

He is still somewhat stubborn and pushes the limits from time to time, but he is very manageable.

By the way I used the collar on myself at full force before I ever put it on the dog and he was never even close to getting the full value, not even 1/2 full value.

I like the collars only because I can correct at distance and don't need to do all of the training on a leash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts