Dog owners/Gardener's beware: Foxglove

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fishman, May 19, 2008.

1. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Was shopping at Lowes last week for some flowers and was really surprised to see they had foxglove on sale, and it came with no warning what-so-ever. First and foremost its extremely toxic to humans, deadly to children. Clearly most people are intelligent enough not to just eat leafs in their garden :D but with young children you honestly never know. It's also deadly for dogs to eat, and dogs eat just about anything green. Just wanted to give ya a heads up incase you didn't already know.

Foxglove:

[​IMG]

2. Juls

Juls Charter Captain

Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't aware of that.
    Thanks for the pic too, because if you would have asked me what that was, I couldn't have told you. :)

Juls

3. now how do I make sure the dogs eat it? this would keep my lawn clean, stupid dogs next door

4. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

I need to get some and add some tuna juice to it

5. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

Wow, I think my wife just planted some of that.:eek:

6. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I've seen it planted at many places. They are beautiful flowers and hummingbird's lovem, but they only flower every other year if memory serves me correctly?

7. Fish2day

Fish2day member

Better watch what she feeds you! :D

8. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

Yeah...I've done a good job of making her mad lately.:rolleyes:

9. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

i had no idea it was so bad.i've had it growing in one of our flower beds for years now.here's a pic of it from some years back.[​IMG]

10. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

11. so what on that list isn't sold at my local garden center? ha. we have the tough situation of we have a dog, 3 horses ,and love birds.... so the foxglove stays far away from the dog's run area so we can see our birds, and no fun plants go near the pasture to keep the horses healthy....

great info though fishman!

dday

12. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Thanks, honestly I love to see the hummingbirds but at the same time I don't want to risk my dogs health over it either. I've planted trumpet vine(although I doubt it will flower this year, mandevellias (spelling??) and put out hummingbird feeders. Did see a bird here on Friday morning, so that was exciting.

13. Thanks for posting that site. We live kinda in the country and my boys and dogs are super explorative. I appreciate knowing a place i can look stuff up like this. Thanks Again!