Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I heard that Pennsylvania stocks Brown Trout into Lake Erie. Do we get any of those mixed in with our Steelhead? If anyone has caught a lake-run Brown here in OH, I would love to hear the story, and a picture would be great. Thanks.:F

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I personally haven't gotten any in OH, but yeah we do get some strays though very few. Heck I've only gotten a few in PA.

I've seen pics of them on the Cleveland metroparks website, and I saw one caught out of Conneaut Creek a few years ago(though PA may stock Conny with them? Don't think so though)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
232 Posts
I saw one caught (rather brought in) near Marblehead. This was over 30 years ago. We were perch fishing and they brought it in to the bait shop that was then on the end of Marblehead. Nobody seemed to know what it was but the bait shop counterman.

Also saw one caught that was brought in to a baitshop on the Huron pier. In the Fall. Again, a long time ago.

·
Registered
425 Posts
We fish the lower Grand River right after ice out in the spring. Every year we either catch one or two or we have friends who catch a few.

·
Registered
738 Posts
here is a pick from conneaut last Fall 7 lb Brown Trout . caught trolling along breakwall

·
Registered
603 Posts
I know plenty are caught in the rocky. When I say plenty I mean like not that many haha but therockyriver.com does a bonus brown trout derby. Its like winning the lottery but with trout. They gave a nice fly reel away at the end of the season. But it has to be caught on the rocky.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
408 Posts
I got one last year on the chagrin but they are very rare. In the next few years we'll most likely see a significant rise in the number of browns caught in our tribs because pa is replacing a lot of the steelhead they stock each year with browns unfortunately

·
Registered
430 Posts
Caught a decent sized one a few years back while trolling for eyes, probably 5 or 6lb. No camera on board and after it spent the day in the cooler, got home and laid it on the table with rest of our catch, pic didn't turn out a very good.....lost it's color. Probably once in a lifetime catch for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts