Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be the place to ask. but I don't know who to contact. My normal repair service doesn't answer their phone for 2 weeks now. I called an Evinrude dealer in Parma and they are booked up for the rest of the year. I found someone 60 miles or more from Lorain that put me on a waiting list about 6 more weeks to wait. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This may not be the place to ask. but I don't know who to contact. My normal repair service doesn't answer their phone for 2 weeks now. I called an Evinrude dealer in Parma and they are booked up for the rest of the year. I found someone 60 miles or more from Lorain that put me on a waiting list about 6 more weeks to wait. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help.
Burroughs inClyde

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just bought the boat about 1 week ago the motor looked great the owner had let it set for more than a year in the cold, the battery was dead. when I brougt it home hooked a charge up, the tilt when up and down just fine. The trim piston rod that come out of the trim unit would not retract into the cylinder. this worked this way every time I tried it, Two days ago I was going to try it again it will still go up but now nothing will go down.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Auto part Family car
Auto part Family car
I realy don't know where to look for a solenoid,I don't see anything back by the motor or by the battery , maybe could this switch looking unit be a solenoid? There is nothing else that I can see in the back of the boat unless it would be at the box where the button is located up beside the steering wheel.
Auto part Family car

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
not that difficult to diagnose just VERY DIFFICULT to explain how to do it. You need a test light and be able to follow all the wires. If both switches are dead you need to make sure both aren't bad. What year?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I found the relays they are in a box at top front of the motor. It is a 1986 Evinrude. So if this is the Relays they are the boxes one of which has the 2 white on it. I will try to find a video on youtube showing how to test the relays. Also a friend brought me his book for making repairs. I truly do appreciate all the help and information. Thanks to everyone maybe Monday I will be able to find something out. This weekend is very busy for me. Perhaps I will be able to change the out myself, but if not I have found several places by doing a search around Port Clinton area and have several places that I can call Monday. Thanks to all

Auto part Electrical wiring Engine Fuel line Wire

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
A simple swap of the relays is a quick test you can do yourself. The L/port side relay in the pic (with the green wire) is for the 'down' circuit. The other side (with the blue wire) is the 'up' circuit. Think "green grass - blue sky". Swap positions & see if the problem 'follows' the down relay. You'll also hear/feel a click inside the relay when it's energized by the switch & sends voltage to the trim motor. If this isn't clear feel free to give me a call & I'll walk you through it. Mike Bruns Celina, OH 419-305-8111

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Mike, I switched the relays and everything is the same it will come up but won't go down. So maybe the problem is not the relays. I also checked for continuity of the green wire from the relay to the motor and everything was good there no breaks in the wire. I thought about pulling the handle and checking the switch, but The switch was working both up and down. Only the trim cylinders were not working it was stuck in full up trim. But the up and down tilt was working fine. Then something happened the tilt will no longer go down only up. I just don't know if I want to pull the handle for checking the switch, ( it's the old saying if its not broke don't fix it). I've tried to fix things that weren't broke and had to replace them because after I tried to fix them they were broke.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts