close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Does Anyone Use Minnow Traps?..and If...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by eye4neye, Mar 6, 2005.

1. If You Do, What Kind Of Bait Do You Put In Them. I Just Read In A Magazine To Try And Use Some Chewing Gun In There, Hasanyone Ever Tried This Before?---i Have Part Of The Hocking River Here In Lancaster Almost Inmyback Yard And Thought That Would Be A Nice Thing Todo Instead Of Buying All Of My Minnows This Spring...kids Will Like To Do It Also...so Anybait Help Or Tricks Would Be A Great Big Help Everyone...thanks Alot...tony

2. I USE LIVER FOR THE SENT AND BALL OATMEAL IN PBUTTER FOR FEED :cool:

3. I use a minnow seine in small creeks for my minnows when I have the time... Works better for me then traps but do let us know about the gum or what jig suggested...

4. if you want it full of minnows put some stale bread in it..if you want if full of crawdads put dogfood in it...i know it sounds funny but try it

5. I KNOW THEY ALL WORK BUT I GOT TIRED OF THE SNAKES. :eek: I NET THE SUCKERS N SUCH ;) THE BEST TIME TO HIT THE CRICKS IS IN THE HOLES
    WHEN THERE LOW AND CLEAR. NOW IS GOOD TILL THE RAIN! :cool:

6. I read that lil piece in field and stream about using a stick of gum, I was curious whether it would work or not as well.

7. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I used to use minnow traps, but did not have much luck with them..I just use a castnet now.

8. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I used my minnow trap the last two weekends. I roll a piece of bread into a tight ball, throw the trap in a small hole in the creek and come back and hour or two later.
    Never caught any snakes or crayfish.
    I have better luck in small creeks about 2' wide with the trap. Bigger creeks I use a minnow seine when it's warmer.

9. In my opinion a seine will always outperform provided that you can navigate the water and corral the minnows. However, a trap is a nice quick method which also keeps you from needing to wade. I usually just use the wadded up bread and it does very well. Location is key with a trap. If you did not get many in one spot move the trap. I usually try to find a spot near a riffle but in the deeper slack water along the edge.

10. Bread has always worked best for me. I ball it up around a medium sized rock to keep it from floating to the top of the trap so the minnows have to get inside to get the bread. I have also heard of people putting it in a small mesh bag (laundry bag) to keep it together a little better. If it will not get stolen I would leave it out overnight, that is when I usually catch the most minnows.

Scott

11. catking

catking Banned

Have one MAJOR advantage over seins , it takes about 10 minutes to set 2-4 traps , you can leave them over night , and come back to a full trap, without much effort......THE CATKING !!!

12. Da King is right but in the summer when I don't need to mess with waders I can usually have my minnows in my favorite spot in not much more than 15 minutes and I don't have to worry about thieves. They are handy for putting off a dock in a lake as well. I usually only get small minnows in the lakes I do this on but they make very good panfish bait.

13. wow-

thanks everyone---great suggestions...i am going to go get one today....tony

14. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

[​IMG]

7/16" the distance you have to move your pinky to make reading the forums easier for all.

15. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Fishman has a Dell-DUDE!!!

16. cw261

cw261 Member

Speaking of hard to read - how are people posting with the first letter of each word capitalized? Is that a setting in a word processor, and then a cut and paste into the post? I find that harder to read than the caps lock.

17. I place my bread in a piece of panty hose with just a little cut in them so the bread leaks out. Crawdads, just put a piece of bacon in there and you will have a trap full and covered by them. I very seldom catch a snake and it will usually end up as bait in the trap.

18. Freeze

Freeze Cisco Kid

What a hoot Fishman.

19. Ill try to be alittle more careful! :) I too was typing in caps and then it was posted correctly through the forum. The second time I has confronted with this but not the first post in caps! I think it also makes it easier! :cool:

20. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

When someone types in all caps and doesn't accidentally try to type normally you end up getting this. It's the forums program that attempts to protect from ALL CAPS. Just type a post with all caps on, if you don't accidentally hit shift when you're suppose too it'll come out looking like that. If you do hit shift and make a key in lowercase accidentally it'll come out all caps.