close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Does anyone have this problem?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by feeshybass, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Hey everyone, my boyfriend, Bassnpro1, well he's REALLY obsessed with this site and pretty much anything that has to do with hunting or fishing especially fishing. I'm not saying this site is bad or anything, it's his own fault, but he gets NOTHING done for school :( Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on how he could fix it? He honestly can't concentrate on homework for more than 5 minutes before he has to come back to the computer and read more, and it's not helping his grades any. I wish there was a way to cut him off from the site after a certain time or after he has read for a certain amount that day, man that would be ideal! Anyways just wondering what you all think. Tera

2. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

i feel where ya comin from. I try to do both at the same time, and that kinda works. the key is to do your homework late, that way no one is posting new stuff. You seem really worried about him, maybe you should snap the whip a little! hahahaha sorry not too many other sugestions for ya.

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Tera: I know it's hard but he has to realize that his education has to be #1. How to make him do that? Good question! I'll suggest he be given about an hour after he get home from school then it's homework time. After he finishes his work, then he's allowed to get back on here. We're glad he like the site, as it shows that we did a pretty good job on it :D . At 55 years old I could talk to him about the importance of a good education, but he has to be the one to take the ball and run with it. I'm retired from the Fire Dept. after 25 years, and the reason I am retired is because of the education I got while i was young. I finished 6 years of college and retired as a Captain. Without that education I would not have reached that rank and most likely wouldn't have been able to retire. Basspro- listen to Tera!!! She sounds like a great girl that is concerned about you. Hit the books first and the web afterwards. We'll be here, we're not going anywhere, your chance for a good education may not be around. Listen to her!

4. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Bassnpro1 and feeshybass,

I understand your issue. Internet addiction can be a real problem and dominate every aspect of a persons life at the expense of everything good in your life.

I have custody, and my wife and I are raising our two grandchildren. My daughter became so involved with the internet and chat rooms, that she neglected her children. Her priority became the internet, not taking care of two little girls. This happened almost 4 years ago now, and she has been in counciling ever since and has not been on the internet since. She tells me everyday how stupid she feels for losing sight of life's REAL priorities.

My advice to you is to maintain the real priorities in life. Please don't open yourself up to a life of looking back and saying "what if ", By then it may be too late.

Please, please,please,

Kim

5. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

Easy solutin, Shut down the PC and Take the Power Cord and hide it when he is done with work give it back to him.

Also understand this site is new so it will be hit up by everyone for awhile. It will settle down some and so will he.

6. Homework first! This site isn't going anywhere! Get that education taken care of.

Carl

7. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

From a 21 year old's perspective

#1 Ask him politely to go to the library or dorm study lounge with you...it helps both of you and you spend time together.
    #2 Obviously most of his fishing and hunting will revolve around his schedule...meaning it won't come till the weekend most likely because of GEC's...suggest checking the boards before he goes to sleep on like a Monday/Wednesday/Friday basis.
    #3 If he's completely obstinate and stubborn pull the plug and hide it as advised.
    #4 Biggest thing to do...make sure he's away from computers while doing his work...if there's no internet explorer there to open, it won't be nearly as tempting...so get him out of the dorm room...study on the oval, by a lake while fishing or whatever...libraries are best and if you're on south campus the law library is perfect....dead quiet and law students have a way of converying the message that they don't want to deal with distractions...you'll feel the need to be working too

I'm a junior at OSU and the biggest thing is staying focused. Knowing you're concerned and you helping will provide him with great incentive. A lot of times w/school you get bored and your interests take over, but you have to realize that those interests will expire when you're older w/o an education. In order to enjoy yourself later you have to sacrifice a little now. Also, most people who fish have patience and are pretty determined. I'm guessing with a little bit of the right direction you'll see an improvement. Just keep him on track...a little guidance goes a long way

8. Thanks everyone! Hopefully he'll get more focused.