Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
That's beautiful man! When I was about ten years old I helped my dad and his buddy build 2 docks for his pond and it was a great experience. All around great job lundy.

·
Catch bait???
4,018 Posts
Pond looks awesome! You've obviously put a lot of work into it judging by previous photos you've shared!

What was the problem with the first dock? Looked perfectly fine to me!

·
Registered
16,806 Posts
Thats not a dock its a deck. Where's the built in cooler? How many people had to help you push that into the water? I have visions ot the guy building the boat in his basement and can't get it up the steps.....Great job! If you lose your job you can go into the dock building business.

·
Premium Member
10,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How many people had to help you push that into the water?
It required a cookout for my sons and a bunch of their friends to flip the frame so I could attach the floats(while they ate:)) and then we flipped it again and put in on 2x6's so it would slide easily.

My wife and I attached the tee and put on all of the decking the next day. The main dock is 8x16 with a 4x11 tee. The total weight was around 2200 lbs. The composite decking is very heavy!

I was able to use my Polaris Ranger to push the completed dock into the pond with relative ease along with some muscle help of my two grown sons.

I did wonder for many days during the planning if I would be able to move it with the decking installed so I did a little test push on the completed frame prior to putting on all of the decking. It moved very easily so we put all of the decking on prior to pushing it in the pond.

My youngest granddaughter asked me shortly before the launch "Do you think it will float?":D

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Very nice Lundy. Is that tongue and groove decking?

The composite stuff is really nice. It's been a few years since I put my dock in but the decking still looks great and doesn't get slippery when wet.

·
Premium Member
10,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice Lundy. Is that tongue and groove decking?

No tounge just groove. used Timbertech and their hidden fasteners. Pretty sweet but costly system. It is easier and faster to use their fastener system than to just use screws.. $220 in fasteners for the dock

·
Catch bait???
4,018 Posts
Hmmm.... I still don't get it, what was wrong with the first dock! Even after reading all the hassle you went through :D

What did you end up doing with the Duckweed problem?

·
Premium Member
10,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm.... I still don't get it, what was wrong with the first dock! :D
Every time I walked on the old dock my feet got wet,....... and my knees,...... and thighs ............and waist:D

Very little Duckweed early on but water meal was coming on strong again. Sonar seems to have fixed that problem.

I have had on and off again algae issues. The last few weeks of and on I was getting big growths of a translucent goop and green algae. I think it is planktonic ???? algae. Got a lot of it growing the last couple of days

·
Catch bait???
4,018 Posts
It's microcystis algae that you have on the surface, the first photo you posted (the one of the original dock) shows it. Treat it with Cutrine-Plus directly in the effected area. This stuff blooms fast, and sometimes sticks around for a while. You'll probably notice after a really good storm or some heavy winds it will disappear. It can be difficult to control, but in most circumstances a few good Cutrine applications will control it.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My only complaint with the composite was having to predrill the holes and countersink the screw heads. I used two bits and drilled twice. After it was done, my buddy said I should have gotten a the bit that does the hole and countersink in one...I will next time.

I couldn't find much on Timbertechs website on the fastener system you used...do you have any pics of the decking being installed showing the fastener system?

·
Premium Member
10,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will take a couple of pics of the fasteners.

They are slick. The panel is grooved on the edge. You put one fastener and one screw at each joist. The fastener holds the board you just laid down plus the one side of the next board.

I need to tear out and rebuild my deck next spring. I wanted to get some experience with these fasteners. I will use them on the deck

You can view a video. The grooved panel Concealoc
http://www.timbertech.com/installation/installation-resources/default.aspx

1 - 20 of 23 Posts