close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dock building question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Timbr, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Timbr

Timbr Alaska Grayling

My son is building a pond on his property. My question is, should we start the dock now while there is no water, or wait and build a floating dock? Anyone have any experience with one or the other?

Thanks
    Tim

2. A floating dock will cost more than a permanent unless you can get 30 or 55 gal. drums free.. Have the contractor drive some 2" pipe for your dock posts and build now. Beats the heck out of doing it after the pond is full.

3. Iron_Chef_CD

Iron_Chef_CD Allez Cuisine

Well you peaked my interest so I hopped on the net to see if I could find some nice picture examples of how it was done to see if my thinking was correct ( I assumed you would just dig some holes with a post hole digger, stick some 4x4's in the ground and fill with concrete). Not sure if it was correct or not but I found this. Didn't read it all the way through so I don't know if I was correct, not enough pictures :D

Here's the link though, looks like the whole process is documented. Good luck!

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/regions/central/pub/dock-quais/index_e.htm

4. I like the floating dock myself, you can pull it out in the winter. I don't like to use pipe but most people do, they freeze and split open. You can always wait until the water freezes and drill holes in the ice, drive your posts in and construct your dock.

Shark

5. I like the look of the docks that use 4x4 or 6x6 posts with a permanent dock, I think these are classy and you do not have to pull them in in the winter. Also they are structurly more stable and you are able to add things such as benches, a roof, railing and things like that taht are much more stable than a floating dock. Pond levels tend not to change as drastically like a lake so there is no need to make a dock that floats. If you want to make a small floating dock that attaches so you can take it out to the middle to jump off of, that is a great idea. Good luck

J