Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, I sure do. But not for the simple stuff like falling off a bike or getting hurt like that.. Kids are going to get bumps and bruises.
I was hesitant to even have kids because of the direction our society has gone.
Well, just over three years ago my son was born. Now I look around and wonder how in heck am I going to out influence the constant bombardment of trash and garbage that is accepted these days?

Other kids, teachers with their own agenda...entire school systems with their own agenda, nearly every corner of the media and "entertainment".

I can see why people home school their kids.

·
fishing from a kayak
882 Posts
My kid is 11 mos. old and I understand your position.
Ultimately his mother and me need to be the strongest influence in his life at all costs. If you are prepared for the time demands and available to your kid, all should be well.

The fact that you are concerned leads me to believe that your kid will be ok too. You're aware, some parents aren't and maybe even worse, they don't seem to care.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I understand this completley. I have four kids, all boys, 11, 8, 7 and 2 and a half. Some where along the way thier mother found it acceptable to let them listen to rap music. The 8 year old especially likes it. I immediately squashed that but not before a long drawn out argument with her. The way I see it is, if my parents wouldnt let me do it as a kid, then my kids arent doing it either. It was such a simplar time back then before all this facebook, twitter and glorifying thugs and drug addicts that goes on today. I blame social media, a lot, for the way the society is today. Its almost like every one is trying to out do every one else so they can have the spotlight amongst their friends for a day or two. Sorry I went on a little rant there, but I completley agree with you.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I feel for you. My boys are young adults now and I still worry about them ......... it's what we parents who are trying to do a good job do. We, fortunately, had my wife's parents which were strong influences & they went to a parochial school through 8th grade, enforcing similar beliefs & discipline. And, don't be afraid to discipline them.
The family commputer was (is) in our bedroom & we had full administrative rights to their phones which we used & checked. They also didn't get phones until they got their driver's licenses because they don't need them until they are out on their own.
Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now.

·
Banned
809 Posts
+1 for Tom. The more you are involved in their life the less you have to worry about. There is not much we can do to control what people do. But we can control how our kids are raised.

Sent from my MB855 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
598 Posts
+1 for Tom. The more you are involved in their life the less you have to worry about. There is not much we can do to control what people do. But we can control how our kids are raised.

Amen!! Have 2 sons, never missed a school function or sporting event. Worked it so I worked when my wife was off, even tho it meant not seeing her as much as I would have liked, and can count on 1 hand the times they were babysat. Don't be afraid to discipline when needed, and practice what you Preach...

·
Registered
247 Posts
My wife and I find that being involved leads to your children being more open to you. From that you hear about what is going on in school and with their friends. You get a sort of inside look at who you want them to hang out with and who you don't. With my wife being involved in Girl Scouts she got to meet a lot of kids and it is paying off now as they are getting into junior high. We've known these kids for several years and got to know their parents as well. Knowing their parents is great when your child wants to go to a sleepover so you are not worried about what is going on there. Anyways, being involved with them and encouraging them to be involved in after school activities definately has worked for us.

·
Banned
809 Posts
So we just got back from the county fair... It was readily apparent which children had caring parents that were involved in their lives and ones that just didn't care or tried to be the cool parent. This was the first year I let my oldest two boys run around solo and ride with friends and minimum supervision. I have gotten to know our community fairly well. I am proud to say that I received multiple compliments from other parents, coaches, teachers etc. Not only on their behaviour but also their manners. My boys did well. I am glad I disciplineThe way I do. Anyone that does not should, be ashamed of themselves.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Muskarp's right, they wool let anyone on this site!

All joking aside, jlami's kids will make you think you F'd up on your kids! Them looks are FANTASTIC little people and will profit from the way they were raised!

I worry about my kids too, just like everyone here. I try to find then the best parenting I can, along with my wife, and try to remember that I can't be them, I can only help them decide what type of person they're going to be by the type of parent I am.

Funny story (readers digest version)

I was 14, stupid, and full of "great ideas." Dad was getting ready to take mom to dinner and drop me off at the Richland mall so I could meet some friends.

I tepidly asked dad if I could have $20 to get my ear pierced. Dad stopped shaving, pulled out his wallet and handed me a visa? All he said was "your gonna need a lot more than $20 to get your ear pierced."

I thought for a second and said but it's only $20 for the pierce and the stud. His reply was "Sure, but if my son wants his ear pierced he needs a new dress to go with the ear ring."

Never did get my ear pierced, but the lesson was learned!

Mr. A

·
Banned
809 Posts
Muskarp's right, they wool let anyone on this site!

All joking aside, jlami's kids will make you think you F'd up on your kids! Them looks are FANTASTIC little people and will profit from the way they were raised!

I worry about my kids too, just like everyone here. I try to find then the best parenting I can, along with my wife, and try to remember that I can't be them, I can only help them decide what type of person they're going to be by the type of parent I am.

Funny story (readers digest version)

I was 14, stupid, and full of "great ideas." Dad was getting ready to take mom to dinner and drop me off at the Richland mall so I could meet some friends.

I tepidly asked dad if I could have $20 to get my ear pierced. Dad stopped shaving, pulled out his wallet and handed me a visa? All he said was "your gonna need a lot more than $20 to get your ear pierced."

I thought for a second and said but it's only $20 for the pierce and the stud. His reply was "Sure, but if my son wants his ear pierced he needs a new dress to go with the ear ring."

Never did get my ear pierced, but the lesson was learned!

Mr. A
Thank you sir. Hearing it never gets old and means alot from each individual.

That story is funny stuff though.

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
As an overly proud parent of three daughters, witnessing the horrific performance at the vma's by a very influential Miley Cyrus was enough to remind me just how much I do worry.

Funny though, my kids seem to behave much more when I expect them not to(example: sitting still and quietly through a symphony, even getting compliments from all the older ladies near us) and yet can be outright obnoxious at home. I've been told this is normal, but what do I know, I was a bad one for sure.

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Pushin' Tin
4,511 Posts
As an overly proud parent of three daughters, witnessing the horrific performance at the vma's by a very influential Miley Cyrus was enough to remind me just how much I do worry.

Funny though, my kids seem to behave much more when I expect them not to(example: sitting still and quietly through a symphony, even getting compliments from all the older ladies near us) and yet can be outright obnoxious at home. I've been told this is normal, but what do I know, I was a bad one for sure.

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Ha ha! My 3 year old son is a blender without a lid at home. Yet every time he's with either grandparents or aunts/uncles, all I hear is how polite and well behaved he is for a 3 year old... guess spankings, when deserved still work...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Fisherman
2,352 Posts
I'm glad I'm not like others. I have immense willpower and don't succumb to peer pressure or get influenced by others claims of how I should live. if I didn't, I probably would be somewhere dropped out with a bunch of thugs.

·
Banned
809 Posts
Dude, I tell my 3 yr old to pick up his toys and he immediately replies with enthusiasm. "yes maam!" And hops to. (still trying to teach him that maam is for mom)

·
Registered
326 Posts
I agree with everyone here. Mine just turned 3 and we have always worked with her on etiquette and manners. I do find it funny that when at restaurants when other kids are running all over and screaming, she sits there and just watches. If only I could get her to be that good at home. ;)

I plan on raising my daughter with the outdoors playing a strong role. Better to have her fishing and hunting than doing other things. Besides, outdoor stuff is just plain more fun. I got her a pink fly rod and she is already grasping some basic concepts of it. Truth be told, nothing is better than seeing a little one jump up and down endlessly over a 4" bluegill. ;)

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A bunch of good stories. Reading the replies sort of reminds me of the "Are your 30's a drag" thread. I don't feel so alone :)

Our son can terrorize our house if left un-supervised for a small amount of time. Like, enough time to take a shower. Maggie, our chocolate lab, was in her crate while I was doing something. Ian got the idea to feed her chalk. My wife had to clean up the resulting mess.

We made it a point to take him out with us as soon as he okay to leave the house after he was born. Always took him to restaurants or anywhere. This way he could be use to the environment and know how to behave. Now he orders his own drink and food. 99% of the time says please and thank you to people...except mom and dad!!! Now he really likes coming out to the garage to help me with whatever I'm doing.

If people think their kids will love you less if you spank them then you could not be more wrong. When necessary I have left a hand print on his backside. But every day he's thrilled when I pick him up from my mom's and give's hugs and says I love you dad all on his own.

Here's a quick funny story from yesterday...keep in mind he is only 3 1/2...

So, I have a bit of a potty mouth. I've learned to tone it down a bit, but not completely.

Anyways, Ian is in the garage with me while I'm tinkering with the boat. He picks up a wrench and goes to my Explorer and pretends like he's working on it. He stands up, looks at me and says "I don't know what's wrong with this F**king thing!" :D
It's so funny because when he says bad words, which isn't often, he always uses them correctly. I guess I've taught him the finer points of swearing!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts