close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do you use a steel leader?

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by Thommes, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    78.3%
  1. I started using a steel leader last weekend as suggested in a couple books I've been reading on catfishing. Someone suggested that steel leaders were not needed and could actually harm the fish. Just wondering what the general attitude was toward steel leaders, hence the poll

2. jfout

jfout 25 lber, I'm gloating

Mainly just use 30#+ line for a leader, have seen people use 120# rated braided nylon twine also for leaders, this way you don't have to worry about line abrasion. I would highly suggest not using steel leaders just cause there not necessary.

3. catking

catking Banned

Never.............. THE CATKING :)

4. I never do either.

5. I just use 20 or 30lb test line...thats it fer me..

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

7. hhjhjhjhjhjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj
    :G

8. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I was making my own, with a barrel swivel, about 10-12" long and an 8/0 circle hook. I'm fishing from a boat in the Ohio River. The leader material is nylon coated too. It's just easier and quicker for me to crimp up a bunch vs. all the knot tying. I also use mono leaders too.

9. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I see no need in it.

10. Hey Mrfish, can't you use heavier mono with crimps? I thought I have seen that somewhere?

Only time I have used steel is in FLA........I have only caught two toothly critters in freshwater(one pike and one musky) both on small lures(#5 glass shad rap and a roostertail. Landed both without steel. The musky was hooked in the top lip with the shad rap, makes me think he chased it down and the pike was hooked in the side, so I think he ambushed it. I think a side attack would be more likely to cut the line and it didn't.......I don't see any reason, other than convenience like Mrfish is saying, to use steel for cats.

11. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

lol thats a big negatory over here

12. mrfishohio

I might also add I would never use nor recommend a store bought steel leader, a good fish is going to break the snap. I think it's 30# or 40# nylon covered leader I use. It's quick to make & I keep them short too. Also I don't have to worry about the knots becoming worn from rubbing rocks in the current.
    [​IMG]

13. Now y'all tell me. :D

Makes me wonder about the rest of the material in the books.

14. I thought about making some leaders out of heavier line, but went with what the book was saying. Can you buy some sort of crimps with a crimping tool or how do you actually make your leaders?

15. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

I usually run 30# BPS Excel main and 25# Stren heavy cover line for leader (this is the only stren line I will use, and only for leaders). I used to run heavier leader than mainline, but all that gaurantees is that when you snag up you will lose your entire rig. Also, on drop weights I use mostly 12# line, it breaks easily when it has too, but still strong enough to pull my sinkers out of "light" snags

16. mrfishohio

Yes, they have crimp sleeves, you just crimp them with your 8" needlenose pliers that have the crimping place in them (all of BPS Pliers...get them in stainless steel) Be sure to double check and get a real good crimp, or it will pull loose. I had that happen on a snag a few times, then I slowed down and became more meticulous.

17. I found the sleeves at Gander Mountain. Not sure what size I'd need though so I'll buy a couple different sizes. I think I'll get there today and buy em. Might head out to shaunasee later

18. Thanks everyone for the advice.

19. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

I use 25-30lb Trilene Big Game line, Never had it break on me yet. To many people try to horse a fish in, But if they would let it fight it would tire out fairly quick.

I have not one use for the Steel Leaders as I have saw too many people lose a fish with them & the Leader wont disolve like a hook would. It ends up hurting the fish more than it should of.
    Cat Mazter

20. Ðe§perado™

Ðe§perado™ Catfisherman/Bowfisherman

I don't use them. I use Power Pro 50 lb/12 dia. for main line and 20-30 lb. leader (Big Game Line.)