close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do you miss steelhead fishing? TRY CARP!!!

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Tusc.RiverRafter05, Aug 2, 2005.

1. :B Yesterday I went down to a local stream with a box full of woolly buggers and a 3 weight fly rod to chase some smallmouth. I managed 6 smallmouth between 10 and 13" but I discovered a fish that is even more fun! As I was walking the shore, I found a group of about 15 carp with their faces digging in the mud for crayfish. I decided to put on a size 10 brown woolly bugger that matched the size of the crayfish I could see. After some unsuccessful casting, I discovered that carp like the fly presented a VERY specific way, and that if you get it exactly right, you can make any carp actually chase your fly across the stream to grab it.

I had my eye on about a 10 lb. carp digging in the mud. I cast my line so that I had overshot him by about 20 ft and about 15 ft upstream from where he was. Then, I started stripping line very smoothly so that I was pulling the fly at about a 45 degree angle with the carp's nose while still keeping it upstream of him. The worst thing you can do is try to land the fly right on the carp's nose like you might do winter steelhead fishing or something. If you do this, the carp will roll over and let the fly pass right by his face. You actually want to be atleast 5 ft upstream from them when it crosses their nose and at a 45 degree angle the entire time. I got the angle right and he started chasing my fly, but instead of stopping and starting it to make it look wounded or something, I started stripping faster to make him think it was getting away. Well, he followed it ALL the way across the stream and finally grabbed it about 3 feet in front of me and the fight was on. :D

I ended up landing 8 of the carp I had seen, with none under 5 pounds and the biggest being around 10 lbs. With a 3 weight fly rod, landing these brutes took a good amount of time and after 8 of them I was ready to call it a day.

I hope you try this method and have success like I did because carp are certainly in abundance here in Ohio, and they are certainly an under-appreciated fish! If you're like me and have found yourself addicted to steelhead fishing in all months except june, july, and august, these carp actually give quite a good fight and are actually much harder to catch than the most weary of steelhead and trout.

2. Another soul lost; welcome to the club. You cannot beat sight fishing for a very large, very abundant (but still challenging) fish.

3. cool. ive always wanted to catch a carp on a fly