close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do you fish with waders?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hardwaterfan, Aug 27, 2004.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Hello friends. Im interested in buying some waders. With a height at least waist high. I would use them mostly in cooler to cold waters. (spring and late-fall type fishing conditions) I would probably get the ones with the built in boots. I dont know anything about waders. I would like use them in rivers and in lakes too.

Whats your favorite make/style/type of wader?

I appreciate any and all comments or advice. Thanks. ;)

2. Get stocking foot waders and boots. Have much more stability than typical boot waders. Also get neoprene. Ive got some guide series from gander. 3.5mm. They are awesome!

3. First of all, i personally would not buy hip waders. I would only go for chest waders. I had a set of hip waders years ago that I basically used to run a trap line. They worked fine for that but when I tried to use them for fishing I was constantly watching to make sure I did not fill them up. It seems that pretty much anywhere that you will be fishing a stream there is water that will require above the waist protection.

As far as styles, I will not be able to provide too much input on the newer styles and materials. The pair that I own I have had for nearly 20 years. I have a pair of 3mm neoprene chest waders with stocking feet and separate wading boots. I was always very pleased with them and they provided pretty good thermal protection in the cold waters which by the way is the only time that I use them.

4. Hardwaterfan, I would suggest buying a pair of breathable stocking foot chest waders. the neoprene waders are nice when the water is cool, but if you decide you want to wear waders in the warmer months the breathables will be much more comfortable. I have a pair of White River breathables from Bass Pro. I use them year around. when the water gets cool I just put on some extra layers of fleece.

5. I understand what DCfisher is saying but my question is the cost. Are the breathable ones very expensive? And are they durable enough to take a briar or two? I am not arguing it but just asking because I have never used the breathables. I just envisioned them as being more prone to leaks.

Also everyone is different, but I personally prefer to leave the waders behind once the water starts warming up. I don't like the hassle of hauling them and getting geared up. I just go for a pair of wading boots by themselves along with shorts. But I understand that some may not prefer this method as much.

6. Hardwater,

bkr is correct about chest waders. You are limited to what you can do in hip waders. As for type I have a set of 5mm neoprenes that I use in the dead of winter when I fishing for Steelies. For spring and fall fishing I use a set of Goretex waders witha pair of fleece pants on underneath. The goretex is nice because they are lighter in weight, the dry very quickly, and are breathable. The last is a very nice feature in the temperatures begin to climb in the afternoon. I would also recommend stocking foot waders and wading shoes. You can get a decent set of Goretex at Cabelas for around $100.

Wes

7. The price on those has some down quite a bit then. I know that the neoprenes that I bought way back were about $70 and I believe they also have come down a bit. So the price is still a bit less for the neoprenes. Another advantage to buying stocking foot style is that you could buy the breathable style at some point as well and not have to invest twice in the boot portion.

8. Bkr43050, I bought my breathables at the BassPro in Cincy two years ago. they were on sale at the time for $79.95. I do alot of wading for smallmouth and I have to bushwack most of the time to get to the spots that I fish. I have not gotten a hole in them yet.

9. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

I like stocking foot waders because I can have different shoes for different conditions. Lug sole for mud bottom and hiking through snow, felt sole for rocky bottom. I have Cabela's 5mm Guide-weight waders, which are an excellent deal at under $100. I have Hodgman shoes. My brother says he wouldn't have anything but the boot foot because they are warmer.

10. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Thank you all very much for the comments and advice. I will put it to good use.

Im lucky to have a Gander Mountain right down the street, now Ill know what Im looking at. plus I have 55 Gander Mountain bucks burning a hole in my wallet. :D