close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

do steelhead reproduce in ohio

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by WISH IT WAS YOU, May 22, 2007.

1. i was reading that the steelhead fishing is give and take for ohio i thought that they reproduce i am confused:confused: i want to know from you diehearts

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

no they do not, it is mostly a put-n- take fishery.

3. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Freyedknot is right !

4. do you know why they cant
    because they do in michigan i am guessing the water temps is the problem

5. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

There are a few streams that get very limited reproduction, but you got to remember, these guys stay in the stream through summer. If it isn't spring fed,
    and if it gets a lot of runoff, the water gets too warm and they die off.
    I found this guy in a tiny, very tiny trib of the Cuyahoga a few years ago-

Attached Files:

6. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

Thats an awesome pic CreekCrawler!

7. they are fertile and could reproduce if the water stayed cooler, but just because they dont sustain the fishery doesn't mean its put-n-take. those fish live through the run and come back every year, let them go and they come back bigger the next year, let them go enough times we might start seeing more 10-15lb fish

8. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

Thanks Liquid - That photo was in my fishtank. Kept the lil fellow for a year.
    I got a 120 gal tank with giant pumps and ran lines outside in the ground to chill it. Here's a pic of the lil tyke when I first got him/her - about 2" long.

Attached Files:

9. wow nice pics creek i have all ways wanted small trout in my fish tank hod did you get that i am guessing a net but wow

10. I saw fry to fingerling size rainbows in the chagrin. Not sure if they make it beyond that.

11. I've had the chance to talk to a few people who are in the wildlife and fisheries management fields on this topic. They're in agreement that it's not the first year in the stream, but the second that snuffs most of them out. It's the combination of high water temps. and the silt that lead to their demise. Some of the cooler and cleaner streams support natural reproduction, but not in great numbers.

12. I have had seen some small steelhead fry in the tribs. of the grand river. Off into the little cooler creeks past Vooman rd. I believe it is very very limited to a few special spots.