Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was taking a trip last weekend to Manchester England with a friend of mine to see a soccer game and visit some old pubs. Our flight was supposed to leave out of Port Columbus at 7:30pm and we had a 10:05pm connection in Newark NJ that would put us in Manchester at about 10:00am their time. We were only staying 2 nights, drinking as much beer at as many different pubs as we could, going to the soccer game and coming back home. We were at the airport in Columbus and at about 7:25 they say that our flight will be "a little late". So we go up and ask if we should be worried about our connection in Newark and she says no problem. About 8:00 still no plane we go and ask again and she says it'll be here any minute and we wont have any problem making our connection. Finally about 8:30 we take off. We tell the flight attendant whats going on so she finds out what gate we are going into and what gate we need to get to and shows us a map of the concourse and shows where to go and says we "should" be able to make it. We finally land at 9:55 and by the time we get to the gate and get the door open its 10:00. I hear the pilot tell the tower that we were there the door was open and we were on the way, he had already called and told them they were running behind. All we had was one carry on bag each but we were on a very small plane so the bags were underneath and we had to wait a few minutes to get them. At 10:04 we finally get our bags and we take off running as fast as we can and run all the way to next gate thinking no problem they know we are here and they know it was not our fault that we were late. Well we get the the gate at 10:07 and we see them close the doors before we got there and the plane is still sitting there and the guys "sorry already closed the doors, you cant get on". Dont know if I have ever been so ticked off. I start to argue with the guy and he just says "you'll have to go to the customer service desk", he would not even talk to us. So we go over there and this woman just says "I can book you on the flight tomorrow at 10:05pm". We argued with this woman for over an hour and a half and got no where. Finally we just get a flight back home Friday afternoon. Everyone we talked to with Continental just acted like it was our fault we missed the plane. And why can they be over an hour late but could not hold another plane for 1 minute?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Been there, since it was not your fault, if you get ahold of the right folks, ( ask to speak to a manager wen you call) you should get a full refund, I forget the term but when you miss a single day appt, they usually will refund your whole ticket. I have had to do it quite a few times. Now to Miss Man. Utd in there UEFA cup game would have sent me into a terrroistic fit where I might have had to hijack a plane to get there. Thats my dream team and a lifelong dream to see them in Old Trafford......

Salmonid

·
Registered
206 Posts
The days of caring about customers are long since gone from the airline industry. They could care less about you or your trip. Fortunately my flying days are over. I flew on a regular basis for years. That was back in the days when they actually did care about you.

·
officially unofficial!!!!
2,536 Posts
the last time i flew with them was on a trip to tampa and the service was basically the same! those goofy women just smile at you while you butt starts hurting more and more from what they do to you AFTER they have your money!!!
we were held over in newark for several hours and treated like dirt.THEN,when we were leaving tampa it got worse.we showed up)1hour early) and tried to hand the girl our boarding passes.she said we'd have to check our baggage first.the line to check our luggage was also a ticket line.sooooo,they were selling tickets for the same flight that i already had tickets and boarding passes for(that brainy practice of over booking).after i checked our luggage i went back to the 1st girl,handed her our boarding passes and was told that i was too late and we were being bumped from the flight!!!!:mad:
to make a long story short it was 3 flights later,many heated words,and almost being arrested when i finally got us on a flight.
i wrote them a letter after we got home and they offered us a pair of round trip tickets anywhere in the u.s. as an apology and i told them where they could hold the tickets.
it should be illegal!

·
Whaler
3,199 Posts
My wife and I and another couple flew from Cleveland straight to Gatwick in England last July with no stops at Newark on Continental. It was the same way coming back. We went through customs on our return in Cleveland. I take it they don't have a straight through flight from Columbus ??

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well after arguing for hours on the phone with a lot of different people I fianlly got some where. Got a full refund plus a $200 voucher on my next flight. Its still B.S. what they did and the lady on the phone tells me she is doing me a favor by giving me a refund! I couldnt believe it, they couldnt do what they were supposed to do but its a favor to me to give me my money back?? Anyway we were able to get things worked out and are going over next weekend for a game on May 13th. The biggest problem now is that the game is on mothers day so it will cost me twice as much for mothers day gifts as the trip is going to cost! As much as I hate to fly Continental again I cant pass up 200 bucks.

Salmonid, it will be pretty awsome to see a game at Old Trafford. I guess every home game is pretty much like an OSU vs Michigan game. I've got a list of some local pubs that a lot of supporters hang out in on match days. I just need to remember to say football and not soccer.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Very interesting? SHEEET HAPPENS?

Yes its getting HARDER & HARDER to deal with the airline industry, they pass OFF THE BUCK, get ya so frustrated & HOPE YA GO AWAY.
If possible (twistertale) a more detailed report can help someone out in the future if any-one falls into the same crap.
Like, how far up the chain did you COMPLAIN TO????? Any specific office title?? Customer Relations??? OR ???????

Thanks, Nik

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just kept asking for a manager on the phone and finally got someone who took care of things. The people at the service desk in Newark and Columbus were worthless, all they can do is book you on a later flight and tell you to call the 1-800 service number. I dont know why you have to talk to someone on the phone instead of in person but believe me I did everything I could at the counter. There was a guy on the flight back to Columbus that worked for Continental and was some kind of upper management so I caught him as we were coming off the plane and told him what had happend and I tought I was going to get some where with him. He walks over to the service desk with me and talks to them a little and then has me tell them what happend and next thing I know I turn around looking for him and he was gone. So the dont give a crap about the customer policy comes all the way from the top. The guy at the service desk in Columbus tells me, we did our job we got you safely on the ground in Newark. After that comment I just about exploded, said a few choice words to him flipped him the bird and walk away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts