close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

do-it-yourself... HA!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hardwaterfan, Apr 19, 2005.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

My garage door is acting funny, i think i had a loose spring, so i get out my handy do-it-yourself Readers Digest book and find the following:

"Garage door with single spring extending across top of door opening. This type of spring winds up instead of extending or contracting.

Adjust tension in the spring of this type of garage door by loosening locknut and winding spring tighter with bar inserted in collar."

gee, SOUNDS easy enough... :D The guy in the picture in the book is using a little bar, happily tightening up his spring while his wife is probably baking cookies or something.

OK.... i loosen the locknut like the picture shows, but i have TWO locknuts....thanks a lot Readers Digest.....loosen them both a bit, got two bars perfect size to tighten this baby... loosen a bit more WHOA.... no way i am holding on for dear life now...

every time i try to retighten the spring the entire shaft turns, but it seems to be SLIPPING just fine...the shaft isnt moving then....it only moves when i DONT want it to!

im trying to remember the pic now, thinking if i let this bar go this thing is going to kill me or go through the car windshield...

i think i better just reset the set nuts.... wheres my wrench???? HOW CAN I NOT FIND MY WRENCH I CANT EVEN MOVE from this spot without this whole spring doing whatever it might do if i let go of this bar....

now im sweating really bad, my hand is hurting, and i am standing on a chair with what feels like 100 lbs. of force on a bar that im holding onto and somehow LOST my wrench.

luckily my wife walks in just then....

"hows it goin in here?"

(regaining some composure) "oh, pretty good." (im a good fibber)

"ok then..."

"ummm... do you see a wrench anywhere?"

"no"

"oh, ok"

as she starts to walk away....."wait, dont leave me!" :eek: :D

"get me that adjustable wrench out of the cabinet" (my hand is going numb now)

i get the stupid set screws reset....
    but now the spring has relaxed a bit, not too much thank goodness but the garage door is REALLY making some bad noises now.....

in the end, i have the number of a local garage door place nearby, i hope they have someone available SOON!

(after all was said and done, my wrench didnt disappear but fell into a 1/2" space between some boards above the garage door....)

i hope you enjoyed my little story and dont feel too bad next time something like this happens to you.... if you thought ive wasted your time then you are probably that guy in the picture who actually KNOWS what he's doing. Enjoy the cookies. :p :D

2. lol

atleast it wasnt a big roll up garge door that has SEVERAL hundred pounds of preasure on the spring!

3. I know a few guys who have gotten fubared by garage door springs, most of whom were in the garage door buisness. Definitly not a DIY unless you want to loose an eye or face.

Scott

4. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

I replaced one of those things one time on my garage door. Doubt I will ever do it again.

5. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Shouldn't you just open the garage door first and relieve the tension on the spring before working on it?

6. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

to relieve tension is to completely unwind it. the spring has to have a large amount of tension to be able to hold the door in the up position. Besides, when my door is up, it completely covers the spring anyway

7. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

True but... he was trying to adjust the tension slightly tighter. Releasing the majority of the tension would allow him to easily turn the spring a rotation or two without the 100 lbf·ft torque or more.

Good point about the spring being covered by the door. Mine isn't.

8. Two bars and two hands. And be careful those things can hurt ya

Sliprig

9. If you have never done it before get help from someone who has!Those springs can hurt you bad if not kill ya.

10. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

ahhh... i see the light.... theres always more to it, theres always "tricks" to doing stuff...seems like you learn the most when something goes wrong...

i paid close attention, its interesting the way those things work with the spring and cables and all...

about a half hour for the guy to readjust the spring, lubricate everything on both doors...works perfect now. :) only 60 bucks.....coulda been a lot worse.

thanks for the tips everyone. dont worry i know my limits. ;)

if theres one thing i could share its that if you have a single spring they get noisy and the guy said to lubricate it anually with some clean motor oil, although he sprayed lubricant on it out of a spray can.