Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hearing avout all these great tickets and just want to get in on some action, problem is I'm not outfitted for trolling, I have a 1967 16' deep v with 60 hp evinrude, she'l idle down and put along but fear of fouling plugs scares me and I don't know if idleing will be slow enough for trolling, besides I can carry only enough petro to get me out there into the 50-55' range I have seen 60' before but thats max with my two 6gal tanks 1/3- 2/3's system. Anyhow do you think with the right amount of line out and say a 3/4 to 5/8 ounce spinner with a crawler hanging off, there mighnt be a chance I can get withing striking range. What would be the best chances with primitive tactics? I've got boat got live bait.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
there is always a chance!!! and yes you will get em' if you try hard enough!!!;) i'm still a rookie myself...3rd year...but your confidence level will dictate what you can/cannot do!!!if fuel is an issue get bigger tanks...watch the weather CLOSELY and have fun!!! some trips may dissapoint you and others will keep you going back!!! at least thats my experiance!!! take LOTS of crawlers and hang on tight!!! those so called trash fish put up one helluva fight!!!!:p :B

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Look at my "lucky" post. A guy has to fish hard and stay with it but you can put fish in the boat with the "primitive" tactics. Just keep working it if there is a slow to no drift, you need to feel those blades turning.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Back in the 70's(before Lake Erie was the Walleye Capital!) and early eighties, those "primitive" tactics WERE the only ones we used! Erie Dearies, bottom walkers/harnesses probably put as many walleyes in the cooler as the Dypsy/ spoons have more recently(but perhaps over a much greater time span!) It might be time to make some moves to adapt to the "more modern" approaches though.

·
Northcoast Madman
1,669 Posts
I don't troll, never have in my life, I only drift, and I catch fish. You don't need a big expensive boat with thousands of $$$ worth of gear to catch walleyes.;)

·
useless poster
8,804 Posts
they were gettin em in the 45 to 50 fow range drifting off cleveland. as long as there is wind you will get them. the trolling just brings the bait/lures to the fish and keeps it in the strike zone longer. good catches in closer than this out of lorain and vermillion. from 25 fow and out.

·
Registered
571 Posts
they were gettin em in the 45 to 50 fow range drifting off cleveland. as long as there is wind you will get them..
ive been drifting and catching around beaver park---as freyedknot said---the key is getting enough wind lately---sunday i got a perch ticket then started walleye fishing---i had 4 in less than 10 casts---i couldnt repeat the drift again and the wind died---fishin stopped---shudda walleye fished then jerked perch!---it was a good morning

catching fish on the bottom is slower since you dont present your stuff to as many fish as a trollers can---but when the are up in the water column or on the rocks at the islands---its hard to beat casting for them

·
Wanting Walleye
552 Posts
Drifting and casting are for people who want to fish,not fill the freezer.I enjoy fishing and do not enjoy trolling,yet I am still able to produce enouph walleye to last me and my friends all winter.But,that is still not the reason I fish so often.I fish alot during the year and there is only one fish that I go after every time I get out and I have been unable to catch it in over 30 years of trying.I may have had it hooked quite a few times over the years but have been unable to get it in the boat due to bad hook set,broken harness,drag set wrong,line snapped,hook broke off weight forward,etc.This fish weighs somewhere between 11 and 14 pounds and will be on my wall if I am ever able to boat it.All other walleye are a bonus to me and will be eaten.My biggest so far has been a little over 10lbs.and I got some pictures of it before I carved it up.

I will admit I have hired a charter for a few trolling trips with friends and family which are boring for me,and I will tell you what I tell them.If I ever get my mount while trolling,I will release it back into the water so that some day I can catch it again while i'm fishing.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
If I ever get my mount while trolling,I will release it back into the water so that some day I can catch it again while i'm fishing.
Thanks!! More fish for me!!

Maybe you should try perch fishing...that's how the current state record was caught.....

lol

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have only been out trolling for walleye . since i don't have a boat but a couple of great guys on here have taken me out . i loved it. but would love to try and get some drifting. so if any drifters have a open seat please let me know thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
Whats trollin'? LOL. Those guys catch fish when drifters don't though. I'll problably never adapt to troll, and drift the rest of my time on erie.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I am adept at both metods of catching eyes.Given a choice I would rather cast any day!Sometimes we will start out trolling just to locate pods of fish.Once done we will go back to those pods and cast for them.Nothing better than feeling that little bit of extra weight before you set the hook.Fish On!!!:D

·
Set The Hook!
2,175 Posts
I fish from a bassboat and always drift, cast . I like the ole "hand to hand" combat over trolling anyday. The trollers have the advantage of covering more water to find fish but I manage to catch my share

·
Wanting Walleye
552 Posts
Thanks!! More fish for me!!

Maybe you should try perch fishing...that's how the current state record was caught.....

lol
No Thanks,perch fishing is like fishing in a barrel,anyone can do it.And I do know about the current state record for walleye being caught while perching and have no respect for the person that owns the title.Sorry.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
No Thanks,perch fishing is like fishing in a barrel,anyone can do it.And I do know about the current state record for walleye being caught while perching and have no respect for the person that owns the title.Sorry.
I was right with you up to that statment. Regardless of the target species (and in spite of it even) He hooked into one hell of a fish and managed to land it to boot! That my friend, calls for respect.

Now for my general view on trolling... I'm a Scientist by profession yet I prefer the art and experience of fishing to the science of trolling and trying to harvest some fish. Science is work, fishing is a relaxing escape from life/stress/work...A focused chalange with the reward of feeling a bite, setting the hook, and fighting a fish to the boat. Trolling is driving around while making scientific calculated adjustments to your program and watching rods for a pullback so you can harvest fish. I also believe that a good drifter can keep up with a good troller when conditions are right, but that an average troller outcatches an average drifter on most days. But, then again fishing isn't numbers to me, it's an experience, an escape, and addiction...

Not to mention the diference in equipment investment!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts