close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DIY Brushpiles?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by steelmagoo, May 4, 2004.

1. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Is it OK to place brush in public lakes? I know organizations and some individuals do this and I want to. I would probably put out a couple weighted Christmas trees and bundles of brush in Mosquito and Pymatuning. I would do this in winter on the ice. What restrictions on materials are there, besides the common sense ones like nothing hazardous or non-degradable? Pallets or pallet wood without nails?

2. Not sure if its legal or not, but I know DNR had a christmas tree recycling program where you could drop off christmas trees at selected locations.

They'd use them for habitat, I imagine either in lakes or hunting areas.

3. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

talk to the local groups who do things with the lake, i don,t think you can just start dumping stuff in the lake no matter how good your intentions are, i would at least contact the DNR............ :cool:

4. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

yup better call the DNR on this one, I know people put christmas trees on the ice at the local resivior.

5. Pike

Pike

I think that I remember this topic was brought up once on the site that from now on will go unmentioned. I believe that it was determined to be illegal. I am sure that someone with a better recolection will chime in and set us all straight.

6. You would need to get a permit from ODNR I beleive. ODNR routinely drops xmas trees in area reservoirs. You would have to let them know where you intend to put them though, as certain water supply reservoirs the ODNR does not put anything into because they aren't allowed for fear of tampering with water quality.

7. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Thanks all. While I was wading for crappie at Mosquito I met a guy who sunk a little brush in wadable water. Not much, just a few branches in a few spots. I had already found these spots and caught a few real nice fish on them. Also, on the other fishing website a guy reported getting craps on brush piles that he himself made in Pymatuning. It gave me ideas. I'll ask the authority in charge before I try this.

8. plainly put it is illegal for a variety of reasons on more than just an ODNR level, local and regional SWCD and the army corps have jurisdiction over much of the public waters in the state as well. private lake associations can do such becuase it is private, simple enough.

Im sure ODNR wouldnt mind a tip or two on where you think they should go, but in most cases they arent just strewn about they are placed for alot of spatial reasons.

9. JV1

JV1

I collected 45 x-mas tree's myself after the holidays and used them in the woods behind my house to fill a big hole left by a dozer, they are stacked in the hole and about 8 ft higher than the hole.... you wouldnt believe the bunny's that have already taken the pile for a home, i bet i got 20 bunnys in the 1 pile, keeps the dogs busy

10. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Probably put up a good fight on light tackle. :D

11. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

This was discussed in a "prior existance". As I shared then, I had contacted the District 3 office of the ODNR for NE Ohio to get permission for the same.
    I was told that they never give permission due to it would be just too hard to control.

Let us know what you find out.

12. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

Made out of 3" and 2" or 4" and 3" PVC. Make sure and sand the entire PVC pipe(s) before dropping in the lake. Helps stuff grow on it.

Attached Files:

13. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

ODNR considers it littering and you can be fined if caught.

14. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

enough said.
    I think it's a great idea to have these in the lakes. I hope that the state starts doing this.