close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DIY Archery set-up help needed.

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by Nightprowler, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Nightprowler

Nightprowler Crappie Hunter

I am just starting Compound Bow archery hunting. I bought a new single cam bow and like the DIY approach. I have put on the arrow rest and noticed the level nocking point for the arrow is a few inches higher than the center of the string. The center of the string seems like the obvious place for the release. Is it all right to have the arrow a few inches higher than where the release is? I tried shooting the bow, with the release attached to where the arrow nock is, and the bow seems unbalanced and hard to pull back, but shoots fairly straight. When I put the release in the center of the string (a few inches below the arrow nock), it feels more balanced, but the arrow doesn't shoot as straight. Is this one of those items that DIY might need to seek professional help?
    Thanks for any help.

Prowler

2. Setting up a bow isn't all that tought, but it does take some experience and a few tools. To get yourself started right, go ahead and go to a pro shop and have them help you set it up. They'll have everything needed and will be able to explain to you what they're doing. It could save you a lot of headache in the futrure.

3. "J"

"J"

Do a search for Paper tuning a bow, and when you finish what you think is a good setup paper test it and see what happens, the paper test is the final step, if you can pass that your bow will be set up correctly and will hit the bullseye consistently, or at least it won't be the bows fault :) "J"

4. As J mentioned, paper tuning is the final step. First, you'll need to get your nock point and everything else at a good starting point. Being new to archery, many how-to articles may not make any sense to you. A good pro shop will help explain the terminology to you, and tell you how to make the adjustments when needed.

5. I agree with M.Magis for the most part on getting some help. But you would not necessarily need to find a pro shop if you are concerned with the cost. You could find a buddy who has a good bit of archery knowledge to assist. You may or may not get as much useful knowledge from the buddy, but at a minimum I would suggest that. You may find that you are able to reach a certain level of accuracy on your own but if things are not set up optimally from the start or you are doing something fundamentally incorrect then you may never achieve the level of accuracy that is necessary. There are a lot of things to learn about archery. If you have plenty of time for the trial and error you may get there on your own. However, I personally would not have the time to get to that point without some good help.