close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Division of Watercraft

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Reel Lady, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Today was our first time out on the boat after a very long winter...It was so nice to hear all of those familiar sounds once again. Well, every sound except the sound of the drag screaming like it does when you have a monster at the end of the line. Oh well, regardless, it was so wonderful to be out on the water. It was definitely a cold one though. We ended up at Portage Lakes because that is pretty much the only lake around here that is totally navigatable.
    When we came back to the dock, I noticed a Division of Watercraft truck waiting at the top of the ramp. I started doing a mental checklist of the things that I knew he was going to ask about or check. Being that we just got our boat out of storage just a few days ago, to be honest, I had no idea what made it's way back onto the boat after being taken off for the winter. The only thing that I knew could be a problem was the boat registration. (But, I did eventually find it, it was in my wallet)
    For those of you who have never been stopped, here are the things that he asked to see.
    Life Jackets, Lifesaving Device (one to throw), Distress Flag, Flares, Horn, Fire Extinguisher (that shows that it is charged), and the anchor.
    He informed us that they tend to "Stake Out" the boat ramps this time of year. After the inspection, you are given a sticker and a yellow slip of paper showing that you passed the inspection. I guess that once you have this sticker on your boat (so it is visible), that you should not get stopped again.
    [​IMG]
    Here are Zach (Reelson) and I FREEZING out on Portage Lakes :eek:

2. And, did you catch any fish!!?

3. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I actually go right up to their truck and get my boat checked as soon as I see them. I dont wait for them to come to me. They've told me as long as they can see a lifejacket and the sticker that they will never mess with ya on the water unless your being bad.

Did you get a water temp?

4. You should have been on Erie yesterday! :eek: Glad you got out. When is the new boat due in? Mine is in getting the canvas done and hope to take it to Turkeyfoot to start the break in late next week. :)

5. Ive seen some vol. at the camp ramp at Berlin and they said they give stickers and such. Nice group of old-timers! :)

6. are flares required?

7. Big I believe only a distress flag for inland and flares for Erie.But not 100% sure as I carry both and only know that they are needed for Erie for sure.

Scott

8. One thing I did find out last year on Erie is that flares have a expiration date which they look at.
    Geowol

9. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I have a question about boat registration, does it have to be the original copy or could a photo copy be carried?

10. I was told last year that if you own a SOSpenders-style PFD, you must have it on for it to count during the inspection. Seems an odd rule, but I'm getting my boat inspected within the next week, and I'll let you know.

Eric

11. cw261

cw261 Member

I was told two years ago when stopped at Nimisila that you had to have the original registration - I had a copy, but he let me slide. You get a plastic card with new registrations now - I would assume that would be good enough.

When we were out on Portage Saturday the surface water was 40 degrees.

12. Boats less than 16' in length are exempt from the throwable pfd requirement. Same thing goes for flares. All boats however must carry an orange distress flag or other approved daytime distress signal.

13. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I was told last year, flares are illegal on the canadian side of erie?

14. Shake, I believe only the pistol fired flares are illegal. Canada considers those to be firearms.

15. Reel Lady

Darn.. I was hoping no one would ask that question! lol... Well, the simple answer is ....no... :eek:
    I'll be honest, we've never been out fishing on a boat with the water being this cold. Therefore, we are in the process of learning their pattern for this time of year/water temperature. :)

16. Reel Lady

Well, he first asked us for our distress flag. And wouldnt you know it.. it was at home, draped across one of our kitchen chairs because I had just cleaned it and was letting it dry!
    After I told him that, he then asked for the flares. I know for a fact that the flares are mandatory on Lake Erie. Well, at least they are for my size boat which is 18.5'.

17. Reel Lady

I had the little wallet sized version of my registration, and he didn't question its authenticity.

18. I just have a 12-ft jonboat w/electric motor. I only use it on small lakes around the state (limited horsepower). Do I need all the other things you are mentioning from the Div. of Watercraft (flotation device, fire extinguisher, etc)? I do have life vests on board for all riders and flotating seat cushions and obviously have it registered.

Thanks